Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:41:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  Gamebird Habitat Pics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gamebird Habitat Pics  (Read 40711 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »

"FEEL FREE TO POST SOME OF YOUR GAMEBIRD HABITAT/CROP PICTURES"
                                            (On this thread)

Finally!......a break in the weather!  I've managed to get all of the plowing done, and a little bit of discing in hillbilly country.  Might still be too muddy for flatlanders?   So far, so good......everything has been working flawlessly. Field corn in the largest field, with various seed plants around the edges, is what the plan is. A descendant (all black) of Bloody Butcher corn will be planted in a distant field, with various seed plants throughout. Like I said.....that's what the plan is.   :-|  There's 3 additional places that have been cultivated besides the ones in the pics below:

(Click On Pic To Enlarge):
 (Ignore date stamp)

In the beginning...............
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 11:21:28 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 10:32:24 AM »

Can't get more than one pic per post, I've shrank all I can shrink   :x :

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »

.......and.......

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:38 PM »

CharlieHorse,

How big are the areas that you are doing? I just started on mine today, as you know, mine are just food plots through out the property totalling just under 5 ac.

What do you like better?

Discing
Plowing
Roto tilling

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each. Since I don't have a "Tractor" I am using my Polaris Ranger 4x4 with a Plotmaster to do my food plots.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 11:11:29 AM »

My guess would be about 5 acres total.  The corn field is about three. Since this is my first year at planting corn, I backed off of my original acreage plan (4-5) once I started plowing. Figured I wouldn't take on more than I could chew. This hillside farming can be a pain in the hind end, I'm finding out quite quickly.  :x 

I get more of a kick out of reviving this old equipment more than anything. I'm using a set of 2-bottom Dearborn plows. I've yet to get the Dearborn picker home yet. The plowing is the best part, except for when I'm on the uphill land side with the right tires in the furrow, like I said before, "hillside farming"......gets kinda scary at times!!   :-o  I chicken out sometimes. A seasoned farmer friend of mine just laughs at me. He grew up on tricycle tractors (and so did I with him) in these hills and didn't think too much about it. But that was then, when I didn't know/think any better.  ^-^   Does that make me a "Chicken farmer", "Farmer chicken", or just a plain ole "Farm Chicken"?

a31

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 04:46:28 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »

Good thing yer have'n fun......cost per bushel will be about 2k !

s020

The field next to me was planted with barley last year. But another used-to-be-farmer told me the reason so much grain was left on the ground, is because "new" farmers are combining way too fast.
Good for the migratory birds though ! I have a big flock (?) of Swans, Canada, Mallards and many more here every day.
Not sure what is taking place right now though, with all the snow Alberta has been (and still is) getting the last few days.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 04:58:41 PM »

......cost per bushel will be about 2k !

Yeah, but I'll be able to run my truck, 3 cars, tractor, cooking oil, heat the house, feed 20 goats and a dozen chickens with newly found renewable, all purpose, answer to everything resource. Plus run and feed all my neighbors stuff too. Hard to believe isn't it?  It's true, I seen it on TV!  Now if I can just figure out how to get rid of the $8000 electric and fuel bill it takes to get it converted to do all that.   ???   Oh well.....who cares!?  As long as corn and soybeans is a "renewable resource", well then, we've got it whipped and everybody's happy!!     Except for maybe "Reeves"?   s47   We won't need any more crude oil..........you better get cha a corn planter "Reeves"!!   :cool:

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 08:29:10 PM »

I'll save money by harvesting local fields at night.

c49
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:55:15 AM »

Here's a small plot for the black field corn that I have, it's about a 1/2 mile and 3 ridges away from my field corn in order to keep away from any cross pollination. I've got a 5 gal bucket full of thistle seed that will planted in amongst and around it, plus a pile of various seeds that are getting old and I'm going to be using some of those up too.  Soil is not the best at this spot (clayish), and it's been worked enough for what I'm doin'.

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:04:43 AM »

And another spot. You can see the old barn through the trees which is on it's way to the ground. Several pieces of horse drawn equipment in it and now is home to 7 Turkey Vulchers. There's over a hundred Volkeswagen Beetles, Buses, Westfalia VW campers, Karman-Ghias on this property. 

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 08:13:03 AM »

Those old VW can be made into something !

cancan

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 09:37:03 PM »

why not put in switchgrass and be done with it?

todays might oak is just yesterdays nut that held his ground.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »

It's a multi-purpose venture. This will serve a multitude of goals, plus there is a variety of different projects going on throughout the property (400 acres), other tha just this.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:59:36 AM »

CharlieHorse,

Did you get to plant anything yet? I should have taken the chance and planted at the end of April when we had the nice weather. The ground has been saturated to the extent that you can't plant anything, never mind even running a disc.

I sure hope this Global Warming, May Showers, end soon.. Where I prepaired the food plots, I have weeds growing in again and I'll have to start all over again.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 09:26:45 AM »

I should have taken the chance and planted at the end of April when we had the nice weather.

Exactly, I've been kickin' myself ever since for not doing it.  I did get my "black corn" planted by hand 9 days ago in the mud. Millet, oats, thistle, millo, sunflowers and some other odd seeds planted in the same field too. All in seperate sections.  Oats are up and growing. The wheat that I planted last fall is loaded.

Where I prepaired the food plots, I have weeds growing in again and I'll have to start all over again.

Don't scare me like that!  I haven't even bothered to go look at the corn field, I'm half afraid to go look. It's muddier now than it has been all spring.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »