Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  newbie,need some solid guidence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: newbie,need some solid guidence  (Read 2456 times)
roddog
« on: September 02, 2004, 08:03:51 PM »

ok ,here is my deal,just moved to a sixteen acre farm,we have acre and half of blueberries,some open land etc,will sell blueberries but they are gone for now,got a couple of goats,just getting settled in good,,but anyway guy before me raised fighting roosters so i have a good amount of coops,pens etc,,got 30 6 wk old quail three weeks ago,they doing fine
but i really want to explore the possiblity of trying to make some money off this place,and the more iread about quail the more it peaked my interest,,i need to know how to start this venture or if i am getting into some sort of pipedream here,,i know nothing about raising them except what i have been reading(which i have been reading everything i can find on net) Miss st website has helpled a lot, i live in alabama,thinking i would start with the 30 for fun but i am the type of person that consumes any information i can find,,i have read about brooding temps ,incubation etc,read about every post on this whole board,,but what i need is hands on advice from people that have been there and done that,i would assume people doing this for profit may be tight w giving out info ,i dont know,, i would think that since this is such a niche business there is enought to go around for all,,i need to know what is most poeple selling,meat birds or hunt birds,,i couild see me taking down a few panels and having a fair sized flight pen,,i am thinking of putting some sort of border up about 3 ft high so my birds cant see outdoors,dogs and outside world,,thinking of some siltfence or something like that,,would this be waste of time??i know that these birds will probably be used as shooters for me and a few friends,,or maybe not,,,i need to know things like will they lay year round,do i need to try to incubate during winter,,i would think not,,as you can see i am a true novice but willing to learn,,,sorry so long,,i have enjoyed reading this board,,but whats up with the guy with all the deleted post?
quailfriend

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:51:15 PM »

To answer a few of your questions... No they do not lay year round, unless you give them artifiacial light. They need at least 17 hours of light a day to lay eggs.
Incubating during the winter months isn't a good idea. It is best to stop hatching around september and start up again early spring.
I haven't gotten the chance to start a business yet but I've been raising poultry for only a year and a half now, thats nothing compared to the REAL experts on the board. They could help you much more business wise than I could.
If you have the patience and the land to do It give it a shot. Raising gamebirds is one of the best hobbies I could have picked up.

12 ga. shotgun shells $5.00
candybar                   $.75
13 gallons gasoline    $26.31 (ouch)
taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dog---------priceless

remember a bad day hunting is better than a good day working.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »