Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Teens or kids?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Teens or kids?  (Read 8108 times)
squirrelhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2005, 01:28:27 PM »

From what i know, silkies are the broodiest, i imagine most of them will though.
squirrelhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2005, 01:30:09 PM »

Quote from: animal_lover1920
Well- I am just starting off with a couple of Bobwhite quail. I am really getting into this!! Its quite fun, actually!  :) I am 12, and have had many animals before, but not quail.  Anyways, heres a list of my animals:

1 Appaloosa Horse
1 Chocolate Lb. Dog
1 Fawn Color Pug
1 fancy rat
2 male dwarf hamsters
4 rohde island red chickens
5 spanish goats (Our doe just had a baby girl!!!  :D )
1 male scrub cat
1 outside koi pond
14 inside fish taks (SLAM FULL, My mom breeds them.)

I THINK thats it...  :) He he. Well, Gotta go,

Rachel

I used to breed fish too, but my parents made me give it up for more birds, certainly miss it though, something to do in the non-bird seasons.
klsquail
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 03:29:24 PM »

Well, while your asking I'll confess--I just turned 18.  I started out with 50 bobwhite eggs (for a 4-H project) and now have 150+.  It's intrested how many other teens there are.  (I always figured I was a minority)
quailer370--I'm sorry some of your birds died.  I've never had luck trying to treat sick birds but it's always worth a try. :)
bassmaster101
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2005, 09:30:25 PM »

Hey all, Im new here and dont have any quail yet, but am interested in them and would like to raise some for a 4-H project and for release.  I also have about 150 pigeons including komorners, old german owls, fantails, rollers, and parlor tumbers.  (i see that squirrel hunter also has OGO's)  Im 15 and show dairy cattle also (hence being from wisconsin)  
     I would use a 25ft by 25ft pen for about 50 bobwhites about 8 ft high.  Is this good?  I would like to go a little smaller if possible.  Any helpful tips on breeding, maturity periods, or shelter, food, ect would be appreciated.
     I plan on getting day olds from http://ddgamebirds.com.  Does anyone know if this is a reliable resource?  chicks go for $.30 and if i get 50 that only $15 + the 22.50 shipping so 37.50.  Is this ok?  Thanks, Bassmaster
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2005, 10:50:51 PM »

:shock: 150 pigeons? phew. thats gotta be a big cleanup job  :)

thats enough room, for that amount of bobs (i think...i own coturnix and they're smaller). you could make the height smaller.  what id be worried about is the male:female ratio, if you're just ordering chicks there's no telling how many of each youll get.

ive heard people in this forum say they like to put pine branches in their bob cages to give them hiding places.  for food i like to give mine start'n'grow for chicks and then move them up to layena protein crumble when they're older.  also all quail looove dust baths.  :wink:

good luck with your birds

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
jeno99
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 07:48:14 PM »

Im 13. 150 pigeons... My 15 made a mess
bassmaster101
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 10:03:38 PM »

Yeah, I cleaned out all three lofts today....a 4 hour job.   I've decided to only get about 10-15 quail and minimize the size of the pen, with a strong recomendation by my parents.  :wink:  I'll give them a try.  I have a few questions though.

1. How long does it take for a hen to mature and lay eggs?

2. How long before some birds could be released into wild (we have hundreds of acres of fields and brush/oak forests around us).  I would like to introduce some since im an avid pheasant/goose/and crow hunter.

3.  How many birds should be released at a time or should they be released in pairs.

Thanks, Bass Master.[/img]
JRHUNTER
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2005, 09:33:12 PM »

Im also a young one on the board, at 15yo. In the past 2 years I have raised ducks, geese, turkeys, quail, chickens, pheasants, and peacocks. Right now I'm down to 15 valley quail and 9 pheasants. This year I'm planning on raising about 600 pheasants to sell to a local club and a few hundred quail just to sell online. I didnt think that there were too many kids into raising birds so its nice to see those of you that do.
squirrelhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 10:15:01 PM »

Quote from: quailer370
:shock: 150 pigeons? phew. thats gotta be a big cleanup job  :)

thats enough room, for that amount of bobs (i think...i own coturnix and they're smaller). you could make the height smaller.  what id be worried about is the male:female ratio, if you're just ordering chicks there's no telling how many of each youll get.

ive heard people in this forum say they like to put pine branches in their bob cages to give them hiding places.  for food i like to give mine start'n'grow for chicks and then move them up to layena protein crumble when they're older.  also all quail looove dust baths.  :wink:

good luck with your birds

-quailer370

He said quail, not pigeons. Sti;; a lot of birds to me though
bassmaster101
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 10:27:04 PM »

http://pigeonsandgameb.8.forumer.com/  Forum web site I made...
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »