Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  please HELP!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: please HELP!  (Read 9424 times)
Jess
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2004, 05:57:12 PM »

Hmm maybe it is called ivermectin... the people at the pet store pronounce it with an "n" in it but maybe they are wrong. Let me check... yes, that IS the way it is spelled! My bad. You'd think most people would know what the heck you were talking about though, sheesh :wink:

Whatever the cage, it is the only thing I've heared of that it good with all parasites. There is the sulpher dunking thing and the kerosene and vasaline thing but that only works really really well on exposed skin like legs, i think. I wouldn't like the thought of having my birds walk around like walking napalm bombs though! It's good to hear they are feeling a little better anyway. My cxal rooster beat the crap out of his hen again, so I have to either get rid of him or chop him. It's the third time he's done that and our aviary isn't going to be done until next summer so, yes. The cal hen will get along fine with the Gambel's pair, I've tried that before. In a bigger run they may be better. And if not, fine they can eat each other. I don't know what else I can do. I was just hoping to raise some of my own but I just don't care anymore! It's actually no that cold here. It's been 50-60 degrees F and hasn't dipped much lower. When it's sunny you can still go out in a Tshirt. I don't usually wintize the pens until the end of october when it starts to dip below zero once ina  while. Hopefully we will be in our new farm by then and all the bird cages can go into the barn.

Jess
komori35
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2004, 06:55:56 PM »

LOL sounds like you have a full-scale bird fighting tournament going on. maybe when you move them into the barn they'll appreciate the change of view and repay you by being civil.  :lol:

ill keep searching for ivermectin. on the omaha vaccine site what i saw was for dogs cats and horses...i dont know, is that the same stuff or is there a different kind for birds? muttsburg those mite-gard things look ineteresting.  maybe i could tie some on my birds' feet  :P.  will lice powder get rid of mites as well?  its all ive got a lead on right now...i live near SF, CA and well, it doesnt have much of a game bird market, so the stores have limited supplies.

at any rate, theyre getting better, their feet are healing...the male is still molting slightly and has a thin patch on his stomach, but i figure its the same as the female and she inevitably transferred the mites.

-komori
muttsburg
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »

Did you call them? truly, they have much more than the web site shows. They have a ton of injectable medications if the ivermectin was the one they take in a shot they just "mite" have it  :lol:

I don't know about the lice powder thing, but surely Omaha could answer your questions. They have product experts that all these things. Give them a try,
komori35
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2004, 01:30:41 PM »

SUCCESS! finally cornered a mite/lice spray that will get rid of 'em. it's supposed to be for caged birds like canaries, etc. but im pretty sure its gonna work on my guys too.  as i was taking them out though, i noticed that their feet realley stink.  is this normal because they're on shavings and are likely to step in their own poop? also, the male was pooping like every 30 seconds. ??? oh well.  generally, they seem much better, livlier for sure,  their feet are healing...although im not sure they're eating that much.  i  put the vitamins in the food.  ill bet they'll start eating more soon, because falls here and winters coming and a birds instinct is to eat a lot to prepare.

im going to go spray them now.  hope this stuff works. im not going to spray the cage yet unless its absolutely necessary, because this stuff has all the warnings like harmful if inhaled, wash contaminated skin, yeah.

-komori
Jess
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 01:56:41 PM »

They prpbably will have stinky feet from stepping in thier poop a bit. Also, the feet might be infected and that's what the smell is. I wouldn't worry about it. If the feet are healing the infection will usually take care of itself. Before you put them back into thier wire cage, take an extra look at it to make sure there's so sharp spots!

Good luck, and let me know how it goes!
Jess[/img]
komori35
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »

oops sorry just two more questions...

how often should i spray them (it doesnt say how often on the product) and will a sand bath rub it off?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 02:25:17 PM »

To dust my Pheasants & Quail , I just add the dusting powder to their sand baths. Way too much stress for them if you catch them to do it.
komori35
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2004, 07:06:11 PM »

mine's a liquid spray, though. i cant add it to their sand bath. plus my quail are used to being handled so no problem there. maybe like once every two weeks?...should i spray the cage as well?

i guess i have to spray at least the male again after what he did yesterday. i had him out for a run and on some wild impulse he flew into the pool :lol: he floated like a duck!! when i dashed over to scoop him out he was swimming around using his feet as paddles. i was freaking out because the water is really cold.  i had to dry his feathers with a lowheat hair drier :lol:

-komori
casnyder
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2004, 07:33:45 PM »

Mites and lice have a rapid life cycle.  There should be directions on the can as to how often to treat.  Failing that, I'd say probably daily or every other day for a few days, and then again a week later.

I got not much knowledge about quail, but I've fought 6 legged pests on a number of places.
komori35
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2004, 07:42:02 PM »

thanks casnyder, your advice came just in time.  i found out that my male was pulling out wing feathers to get at the mites. when i picked him up he was bleeding from the wing as a result. THAT sure was lovely to patch up  :roll:. otherwise they're doing fine.  im just waiting for their feet to heal up.  before i put them back on wire i'll spray them and the cage to prevent reccurence of this problem. i'll probably cut out a new cage bottom too...i looked at it jess and it's got some poky bits in the corners :wink:. i dont think these bits were what caused the problem in the first place, though they could become a menace to quail feet after another month or so.

they're not sick or lethargic anymore, they're feeding well...i think this case is pretty much closed  :)

thanks everybody for all your help and advice, especially jess (who actually drove me to the dictionary to discover the meaning of the word "kneidoscopic")  8)

-komori
Jess
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2004, 07:51:59 PM »

thanks everybody for all your help and advice, especially jess (who actually drove me to the dictionary to discover the meaning of the word "kneidoscopic")

Oh good. So, what does it mean because I have no idea :lol:
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »