Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:49:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pigeon Feed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeon Feed  (Read 7786 times)
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »

Sounds like selling Homers can be a money making machine !  :grin:

j45

I am training my Pheasants to do just that.... I have them doing 1 mile distances.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »

Only if you are a dishonest person..  :evil: I have had them come back home after they have been gone from here 4 years and telling the people do not turn them loose.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 01:56:09 PM »

Pigeons will do fine with a diet that is half corn, some dried peas for about 20% and   a mixed grain and pellet ration for the rest.  With this its best to feed them in separate feeders to prevent their throwing out the rst for what they want. you can feed a mix like this for about $ 14-15 a hundred here in my area.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 03:00:17 PM »

I have some barn caught pigeons I raise more from to sell to customers for dog training.  I like them because they are more "wild" than the other breeds but they are limited on how far they will home.

Anyway, I feed them purina scratch grain and mix a bit of gamebird flight conditioner in at about 6:1 ratio.
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:24 AM »

I got that ration mix from a couple racing pigeon books that I got in S Africa, both are European written books. Thats the mix they recommend for their racing homers. 

My favorite pigeon is the Lahores, supposedly originated in Pakistan but I havent found anyone from there who was familiar with them. A very attractive and docile bird, they free fly but stay home, lacking them I will have white homers. They'll be confined until I get F2s from them.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 09:24:19 AM »

There are several breeders in the U.S. that have Lahores.   

The National Pigeon Association (NPA) is a great source for finding breeders and affiliated specialty breed clubs.

http://www.americanlahoreclub.com/

Also, I would recommend that you go to the NPA young bird show in Louisville Kentucky at the state fairgrounds beside the airport and six flags.  Each years they have a show that has all breeds present with people from around the world shipping their birds in for the show and themselves.  I'm certain you'd find Lahore's there, especially if you contacted someone ahead of time and they brought them there specifically for you.

I've had rollers, homers, modenas, etc and bred toward the standard of perfection for each breed and competed with them at many a show.

Attached is the Lahore standard of Perfection.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 09:34:15 AM by Bird Brained » Logged
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 07:13:35 AM »

Thanks for that, I didnt even know that there was a Lahore Club.

I wont be able to make the Ky Show, but now hope I can find some breeders.

Thanks, its appreciated.  Besides Lahores I have had Homers and Runts,  White Homers are still a possibility.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Bird Brained
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »

If you ever get the chance to go, it's an amazing experience to see that many pigeons in one place.

Here's a website you might also find interesting.  The 2009 show is October 31st.

http://www.nationalyoungbirdshow.com/

Also, the American Dove Association (ADA) has one of their large shows there too.  So you also get to see a lot of doves.

Here's there website.  http://www.doveline.com/

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 07:08:28 AM »

I was considering Ringneck Doves but have decided in favor of the pigeons.

The only bird shows I have attended were in NYS, they were very impressive but the Louisville shows look huge. Definitely something to put on the list to do.

Thanks for teh links, its appreciated.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »