Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:29:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Pigeon Feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pigeon Feed  (Read 7789 times)
Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt

« on: January 13, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »

The lady were I buy my rabbit/chicken feed gave me eight Pigeons this evening.  What is a good feed to supply them with?  I bought what she had that is Purina Pigeon conditioner the catch is I thought it was a little high at $26.00 a 50# sack!  Any feedback would be great!  We pay $11.00 a sack on the chickens and $13.00 on the rabbits.  Just curious.   We had a empty coop to put them in I guess we will be building a new loft this weekend! s85

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:22:52 PM »

If you are just keeping them as pets and they are not going to be placed into any competition such Roller competition or Racing say 200 to 500 miles, then just plane ol chicken laying pellets will do just fine or you can feed them any other feed that you feed your chickens. If you feed whole or cracked grains just be sure that they have access to some grit..No need to feed that fancy stuff for pet pigeons...By the way what kind of pigeons are they there is over 150 different breeds of domesticated pigeons.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »

Quote from: Circle R Ranch Kevin Rockholt
gave me eight Pigeons ........... $26.00 a 50# sack! 

:-|  First off, you may want to reconsider as to "who" gave "who" a "what".?     ^-^ 

That must be some premium feed, no matter what it's for?    :-o

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:03:12 AM »

That premium pigeon grain is in the same category as that Gamecock Conditioner . It is about 12 different whole grains and very expensive. That is why I told him just feed them what he feeds his chickens.. And you are right CH who gave who a what...and by the way Kevin pigeons only need to be fed what they can clean up in 10min. twice a day. When you feed them those expensive grains they will pick out what they like the best and throw the rest out...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:23:51 AM by slider » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:08:16 AM »

My thoughts, almost exactly.  Trapped pigeons that were eating their feed and ****ing on everything, got rid of them without driving 100 miles, and sold a bag of high dollar feed that had been taking up space for three years.  Bet her brother owns the local lumber yard where you'll buy material for the loft.  We need to put her in charge of Government surplus, and procurement.

She did at least kiss you, right?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:09:49 AM by wildergamebirds » Logged

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:11:50 AM »

When you feed them those expensive grains they will pick out what they like the best and throw the rest out...

That's all they ever did/do for me too ...  s80

My thoughts, almost exactly.  Trapped pigeons that were eating their feed and ****ing on everything, got rid of them without driving 100 miles, and sold a bag of high dollar feed that had been taking up space for three years.  Bet her brother owns the local lumber yard where you'll buy material for the loft.  We need to put her in charge of Government surplus, and procurement.

She did at least kiss you, right?

Bet she didn't
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 02:58:21 AM by cv » Logged
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 01:17:58 AM »

Wilder, remember that little story you told the other day about the Hotdog guy....Well I think she has heard that story...

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »

Well thanks alot for all the info!  You know yall are right on the hind sight of it give a man some birds and make a little $.   I dont know what breed they are for sure after looking on the net.  Still looking for some more info there.  Right now there pets no racing are rolling in the plans.  They look to be something more for my boy to keep busy with he is five.  Good thing to know is we have plenty chicken feed to give em!  They only get the good stuff for a little while....................till it runs out!   Thanks guys! :grin:

Circle R Ranch - Kevin Rockholt - Pasadena, Tx - Licensed by the State of TX.  Lic. #  4661
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

Kevin, pigeons are a great hobby for children. I started raising them when I was 8 years old and I still raise them at 64. There is just something about them pigeons that you cant get out of your system...Keep up the good work...

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »

Well I don't know if anyone had mentioned this to you, but if they are Homers, and you let them out, they will fly back home to the original owner.

Just keep that in mind.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »

Never thought of that !!!

She may be even smarter than I thought.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »

Well you have me wandering!  After all the feed store is only about two miles by flight!  That would be something! s020 Well next question is how long to keep them locked in for them to consider this home?  Are will they consider this home?   I have been buying feed there for about four years they seem to be decent so hope not.  Well I am going to try and put up a couple pics but I need to resize them.

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:25:06 AM »

I haven't raised Homers since I was 10years old. But to the best of my knowledge, they will always fly back to the original coop. They may stay if they have young.

I remember as a kid loooooog time ago when I got my first batch of Homers. The previous pigeon owner was moving, and tore down his coop. The new owner of the house was quite pi$$ to see pigeons on top of his roof.

Eventually when there is no food placed out for the birds, they will move to a different establishments, such as parks, under bridges and under the eves of other peoples houses.

If I were you, I wouldn't take the chance. Raise the young from them and then let the young fly.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

Ask the feed store people what kind of pigeons they are and where did they get them. Alot of times breeders will give there excess young away to places like feed stores or there old breeders. If they are Homers and they are adults they will not go back to the feed store but the original owner. If they are young homers like and have never been turned out to fly around the loft then you can keep them for 3 or 4 months and turn them out at your place. But I would not turn them all out at once just release a couple and see how they do. If they are not homers then you can release them after keeping them 2 or 3 months and they will stay around.

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

Sounds like selling Homers can be a money making machine !  :grin:
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »