Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  which pigeons are edible/good to eat ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: which pigeons are edible/good to eat ?  (Read 7669 times)
ode2god
« on: January 02, 2009, 11:30:13 AM »

theres some one with a bunch of pidgeons trying to give them away ...ad says different colors breeds ....if i want to get into raising them for meat /or other what kind should i get ...or avoid ...and how can you tell if they are safe to eat ? do you need to worm them ...
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »

Ode,
  a very good breed for meat is the white king.  You don't need to worm them and they are quite hardy birds.

My dad raised white kings from the time I was a child and I just gave my son 3 dozen birds for his farm.  They taste alot like quail, but much more meat. 

Once they're nesting you can turn them loose because they will return to their home.That way they can find their own grit and you don't have to supply that.

They're slightly larger than other pigeons and mmmmmmmmmmm good!
ode2god
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 08:49:49 PM »

do you have a pic?
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »

Sorry Ode, don't have pics now.
Also for future reference, White Kings love safflower seeds and Sunflower seeds. They will pick them out of all the seeds given.

I feed mine wildbird seed and they loved it.  'They weren't too fond of millet or millo.  Left that on the floor.

They are enjoyable to watch fly.  They don't do the tumbling or fancy flying, but just very beautiful.  Neighbors commented all the time how they liked to see them.  Just need to be sure you don't have too many at one time flying free.  They don't set in trees, but love roof tops.  Too many can cause problems with the neighbors!  We lived next door to a church and they liked sitting on the peak.  Really made for quite a view.  Luckily we never let the flock get large enough to cause a problem with the "mess"!
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 09:18:35 PM »

The "colored" ones are slightly smaller than the whiteKings.  They will interbreed and bring the size down so you want to cull any that might want to join.

Also, if you do let them fly free, somtimes you might have a"visitor" stop by for a couple days.  This happens when a group of long distant racers are in the area.  Before you cull them, give them time to leave on their own.  Sometimes, they have just stopped off for a rest.  If they don't leave on their own, they need to be eliminated as they are smaller and more streamlined than the meatier White Kings.
If they have a legband on, you can check it and get the info to return them to their rightful owners. If no legband.............like I said  mmmmmmmmmm good!
ode2god
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 09:34:09 PM »

thanks tweezy for the input ...i probably wont let them fly free we have resident hawks that loooove pidgeon j2
wildturkey

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »

I thought them there birds were fur hard times. Oh, we are in a recession! :grin:
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 10:07:14 PM »

Wildt., if you only save them for "hard times"  you're missin' alot of gooood eating.

They can be kept confined also, just don't let the flock get too large or they will, lkke most other birds, start dying off.
wildturkey

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 10:19:32 PM »

Dad raised just about every pigeon there is. I love to watch them fly. To me they are pets, but I'm sure they taste good to.
ode2god
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »

i got a feeling if things continue on the scary trend theyre in we might all be looking at some  of our pets as food especially rabbits ,birds etc
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »

Don't get me started on rabbits.

We raise those as well as quail.

Beleve it or not, ALOT of people eat rabbits.  Just hae to advertise and they wil come. 001 001
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 11:59:18 PM »

A little insight

Domestic Pigeon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_pigeon

List of pigeon breeds
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pigeon_breeds

"Utility pigeon" A domesticated pigeon bred for a source of meat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_pigeon
Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 06:02:33 AM »

All pigeons are good to eat, some are just bigger. I havent seen much difference in quality of meat. But the White Kings, and Runts are very good meat producers.

For looking at, a flock of 6-8 pairs of white homers is hard to beat for me.

I am of the opinion that a couple times a year worming is good for all birds we keep in captivity. So I do.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
cv
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »

pigeon breast marinated in wine, wrapped in one bacon strip and baked is pretty good
ode2god
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »

what is the best way in yalls opinion to kill and dress them with out getting alot of blood in the meat ive only killed and dressed a turkey ..but it had blood in the meat i fed it to my dogs
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »