Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Ugly Birds
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ugly Birds  (Read 7983 times)
jadartt

« on: April 21, 2008, 11:01:54 AM »

I'm actively raising my first batch of cortunix quail.  They are A&M's and I can't believe how ugly these buggers are at 2 1/2 weeks of age.  Some of them are almost fully feathered, others are sparsely covered, and still others are completely void of feathers at all and look absolutely pitiful. 

I need someone to assure me that all these uglies will eventually feather out, or perhaps the small runting ones will always be runting, I don't know.  Any comforting advice out there?
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 11:17:17 AM »

Can Ya post any pictures?

I more than likely can't help you, but those who can,............could be more helpful and responsive, if there were some pictures of them.

Just a thought.   

a31

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »

I dont care how many feathers they get...they ant never gonna be pretty.....That is a meat and egg bird when they were developing them they left pretty out...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jadartt

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:00:38 PM »

I dont care how many feathers they get...they ant never gonna be pretty.....That is a meat and egg bird when they were developing them they left pretty out...

I can believe that, but there's plenty of fine feathered A&M's out there.  I'm primarily asking when will the feather out and look "normal"?
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 10:52:15 PM »

Well let me put it another way...they are adults when they are 6 weeks old..I was putting you own about the pretty thing...I just never did like them, but I do know that they are a good starter bird because everything is easy about them and they multiply like rats...17 days...your birds should be pretty well feathered out by 3 weeks except the head that will come in another week..4 weeks and they are pretty much done except to smooth out some that is if they are not to crowded...Good Luck..

birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 08:57:10 PM »

When i first got my coturnix quails they were about 5 weeks old, and yeah they weren't the prettiest bird in the world, but with a good diet (rich in fruits, vegetables, insects ) and as time went by, i noticed that all the dull feathers were replaced with shiny colorful feathers. The food birds eat has alot to do with the color and perspective of feathers. Look at the flamingos, their pink because of all the shrimps they eat. Certain fruits, berries, greens etc.. give birds a certain color, if their not eating these foods that the birds is suppose to eat to get their best feathers then they won't look all that great or pretty.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 10:37:35 PM »

The food birds eat has alot to do with the color and perspective of feathers. Look at the flamingos, their pink because of all the shrimps they eat. Certain fruits, berries, greens etc.. give birds a certain color, if their not eating these foods that the birds is suppose to eat to get their best feathers then they won't look all that great or pretty.

s20     What??   Are you just makin' this up birddude?  If that were true, then why aren't my BW's all green by now?   No wonder some of the turkeys around here are yellow (corn, mushrooms), some john deere green (green leafy stuff), and others have a hard black shell on them from eating pitchin' bugs I suppose?  :-|

Just because "they say" that's the reason that  flamingos are that color, doesn't mean its true or that it applies to every other bird on the planet. 

I'm going to mix some red and yellow food coloring in my next bag of feed and see what happens......I'm thinking Allis-Chalmers orange will be what my Bobs will turn into, easier to see when hunting.   :cool: 

"shrimps"

s020

.......Here's your sign!........
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 10:28:12 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:26:46 AM »

s020
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »

j45 This is too much

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

The food birds eat has alot to do with the color and perspective of feathers. Look at the flamingos, their pink because of all the shrimps they eat. Certain fruits, berries, greens etc.. give birds a certain color, if their not eating these foods that the birds is suppose to eat to get their best feathers then they won't look all that great or pretty.

s20     What??   Are you just makin' this up birddude?  If that were true, then why aren't my BW's all green by now?   No wonder some of the turkeys around here are yellow (corn, mushrooms), some john deere green (green leafy stuff), and others have a hard black shell on them from eating pitchin' bugs I suppose?  :-|

Just because "they say" that's the reason that  flamingos are that color, doesn't mean its true or that it applies to every other bird on the planet. 

I'm going to mix some red and yellow food coloring in my next bag of feed and see what happens......I'm thinking Allis-Chalmers orange will be what my Bobs will turn into, easier to see when hunting.   :cool: 

"shrimps"

s020

.......Here's your sign!........

How am i making this up its true, don't tell me that you don't think the food birds eat has to do with how their feathers look. If a bird eats leaves he doesn't turn green automatically, of course it doesn't work that way.     http://www.birdersworld.com/brd/default.aspx?c=a&id=676

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

quailfarm7
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 04:01:14 PM »

Will, I have to feed all of my birds these things in order to make them look nice then?
When i first got my coturnix quails they were about 5 weeks old, and yeah they weren't the prettiest bird in the world, but with a good diet (rich in fruits, vegetables, insects ) and as time went by, i noticed that all the dull feathers were replaced with shiny colorful feathers.
Personally I think those things are nice as a supplement, but I dont feed these things as a full ration.

Adam Straub
www.straubsgamefarm.com
Quality bobwhite quail, chukar partridge and pheasants (started and mature.)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 05:08:50 PM »

I know the real answer, but I'm not tell'n  t15
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 05:30:28 PM »

How am i making this up its true, don't tell me that you don't think the food birds eat has to do with how their feathers look. If a bird eats leaves he doesn't turn green automatically, of course it doesn't work that way.    

....of course what a bird eats has to do with its colors.  Just like anything else, if it's lacking in something it needs.......it's going to look bad.  I bet you would change colors if you ate nothing but shrimp or dogwood berries?    :grin:  

I get what you're saying.   :wink:  You just made it sound like a person could give their birds certain fruits, etc. and "Walla" within a short period they could change the color of a bird.  

What does purple droppings mean?

Thanks for the link!!     :cool:

I know the real answer, but I'm not tell'n 

Don't be spoilin' any fun!!  :wink:

« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:36:02 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

frank_lap_127
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 06:01:46 PM »

What??   Are you just makin' this up birddude?  If that were true, then why aren't my BW's all green by now?   No wonder some of the turkeys around here are yellow (corn, mushrooms), some john deere green (green leafy stuff), and others have a hard black shell on them from eating pitchin' bugs I suppose?  undecided

I'm going to mix some red and yellow food coloring in my next bag of feed and see what happens......I'm thinking Allis-Chalmers orange will be what my Bobs will turn into, easier to see when hunting.   cool 

s020

That's true! A Flamingo that won't eat shrimps will be white, BUT that's not true for every birds species. Probably that first of all, Flamingo's feathers can easily change of color due to the color pigment eated in their diet. I'm pretty sure that it won't ever happen with a bird that isn't white normally (Flamingos are red, but due to the diet). When my dad was working in James Bay (Canada) and in N-W and Yukon territories, he was hunting ptarmigan and told me that during a time of the year (in Winter), the ptarmigans were eating so much berries that they had a little bit of light pink in the feathers, but not enough to be catch by a kodak, it told me it was really hard to see. So that's not false, but not true for every species.

Frank
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:12 PM »

What does purple droppings mean?

Ahh.. plums, grapes, eggplants .... s020

:wink:

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »