Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:50:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Quail and Chickens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quail and Chickens  (Read 5325 times)
arodgers
« on: September 06, 2005, 05:21:55 PM »

Can a single chicken live with Quail in the same cage?

Thanks,
Andrew
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:58:54 PM »

dont recomend it
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »

as an owner of both quail and chickens i can personally verify the following answer:

no!!! even if the chicken is outnumbered it will harass and bully the quail.  plus there is the disease transfer factor. 

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
arodgers
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 04:48:37 PM »

Thanks for the info, I won't put them together.

Andrew
Johnny Glades
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2005, 08:23:54 AM »

What about a married chicken?
(sorry, couldn't resist)
Fencerow
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:04:37 PM »

Ah, this is likely a more appropriate place for my post.  I'm brand new, and I'm not sure if you're only supposed to post in one spot, or if you can post the same thing in a couple of spots if the topic is related, and you're trying to get help. -?
My post was about a female bobwhite quail (seemed wild at first) who appeared out of nowhere and started coming to our chicken yard to eat cracked corn in the mornings.  My husband asked me if she might start roosting with the chickens and I made the mistake of laughing at him.  After a couple of weeks of showing up faithfully to eat, on the night of the first snow, my husband came in and exultantly informed me that she was now roosting with the chickens.
She has come in at night and roosted with them every night for the past week (usually on one of the highest rafters).  She seems to act like a chicken in nearly every way.   I started doing research on bobwhites and found that she's breaking a lot of quail rules.
A fellow posted that he has a Gambrel's quail that has taken up with his chickens, but I wondered if anyone else had heard of this.  Our chickens are very gentle, and they don't seem to bother her.  I'm wondering what else to feed her besides cracked corn.  She doesn't seem interested in laying mash...Any ideas?
Thanks very much,
FR 
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 09:15:59 PM »

yeah

alert the gamebird gazette  :laugh: just kidding

chances are if she is a solitary quail, she was somebody's escaped pet or gpt separated from her covey.  she can probably get her own food, even if its snowing, or she can share with the chickens.

thats unusual for the chickens to accept her, ive always heard that the combination was bad news.  ive had nothing but trouble with my chickens and the local quail trying to take dust baths in the same garden ;) and my coturnix dont get along with them either.  this is probably a good deal for the bobwhite, though

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
Fencerow
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 08:32:41 PM »

By the way, quailer370, I was reading some old posts, and I wondered what
happened with the chicken that ate a hair tie?
FR
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 10:56:13 PM »

PM'd you   :laugh:

-quailer370

faro

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 12:23:36 PM »

Well I'm the fellow that posted to the other topic....and by the way.... I'm a "chick" :laugh:....anyway, I have about 40 chickens, and they have never bothered the quail that roost with them. I have had it happen on more than one occasion, that a quail gets loose while moving them and sometimes they will hang with the big girls and boys, because that is all they know. These are captive raised quail...not wild ones.

I have brooded many quail with chicken chicks with no problems. I don't ever intentionally raise them in the same pens, but I have let my Gambel's male live with the chickens for a few months now, because it's too cute to watch them all together!  They all free range during the day, and he gets to fly and have fun. I will catch him and put him with his own kind, when I start conditioning my breeders, in a month or two.
Fencerow
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 09:12:05 PM »

Sorry bout the wrong gender guess, faro...
Thanks for the useful info...this has been a
most helpful forum, thank the Lord I found it!
 I joke with my husband and family that I'm a
real "quailman" since I now belong to an
official forum. 

Another question:  Is there a consensus among
actual quail breeders on the estimated percentage of
released birds that survive to mate and hatch eggs?
The wildlife mgt experts who replied personally to
this question all told me that the historic results
have been dismal...
One even said that less than 5% survive the first night
out.  I had thought about raising some for release, but
I'd just be raising coyote and raccoon bait if these
percentages are true.
FR
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2005, 11:38:13 PM »