Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 03:28:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  New Here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Here  (Read 2877 times)
ChicksInSC
« on: September 18, 2005, 07:12:20 PM »

Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Ashley and new to quail. Last Wednesday I was at the flea market and we (hubby and I) walked up on a booth of chickens and some goats. I of course had to run over and take a look. Well the goats were cute but not the color I was looking for and he only had full size chickens and I have bantams so I passed it up. The next booth however had bantams, quail and pheasants. I was actually looking at their sebright bantams and a lone gold duckwing bantam rooster when my hubby nudged me and said, "there's you some eggs." We had just bought an incubator the weekend before and had nothing to put in it yet so he was drawing my attention to some eggs sitting on top of the quail cages. We asked the guy how much he wanted for the eggs. He puzzled a minute being that he'd never sold quail eggs before and sold us the 6 laying there for $1. So I have them in the bator right now due to hatch the first of October. They would be the wild type or A&M Coturnix. The cages were all white but he'd sold some brown that morning so we aren't sure what they'll be. I'm so excited and hope for a good hatch. Just wanted to see if you had any advice on housing, incubating, brooding etc. I plan to brood them in an aquarium with a lamp for heat. I'll be setting that up soon to get it right before they hatch.

By the way, is there an easy way to candle coturnix eggs? I can't really see anything in there.

A little about us, I'm 25, hubby Steve is 31, daughter Hannah is 3 and our son Matthew is 6 months. We have 4 goats and will have more next spring since our two does will be bred this fall. We have 4 chickens. Not rightly sure what the hens are but possibly OEGs and that's what we suspect our rooster is. We have 9 indoor cats, 2 Greyhounds, 2 Turtles and fish.

Thanks!
Ashley
ridgetop
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:20:30 PM »

Hey Ashley!!

Kinda hard to candle those eggs...Just make sure the room is as dark as possible,and have the right type of candler.If you keep them inside when they hatch make sure the cats dont get to close..
ridgetop
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 10:24:29 PM »

Also the aq. will work fine use paper towels on the bottom for the first few days with feed spread over it.temp in there should be around 100 make sure they can get away from the heat..also make sure that you have the right type of waterer.if you use a chick one they can drown in it,but you can put marbles around it so they dont drown.feed that you use should be medicated game bird food or turket starter.not chick feed needs to be about 28% protein..if you have any clover in the yard i pick a little of that and toss in with them too real high in protein.....
geeter

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 09:44:29 AM »

Hi Ashley!  Where are you at in SC?  I'm Mike in North Augusta.  You picked a great place to find info. on raising gamebirds.  I too am new to raising quail and the people and info. on the site is amazing!  If I can be of any assistance, let me know. 
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 11:05:43 AM »

try one of those mini mag lights for candaling.
ChicksInSC
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 05:19:25 PM »

Thanks everyone! I will use the tips. I'm still having trouble candling those eggs. My cats don't have access to the incubator or where the brooder will be so they're safe. I know better than to trust my cats. LOL

I'm in Easley which is between Greenville and Clemson.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »