Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  .28 Ga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: .28 Ga  (Read 7702 times)
Redhorse
Expert Member

« on: April 21, 2004, 08:53:34 AM »

Have been considering a .28 Ga O/U just wondered if anyone out there is shooting one and how they like it. Sold my .20 Ga pump last year and need to replace it with something small, light, and short! :D

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
County Line Gamebird Farm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:35:21 AM »

Red Horse,  That's a mighty good consideration.  I went with a 28 O/U year before last and I love it.  I looked a the ruger models but ended up with a traditions...it was about half the price of the rugers and the gun seemed to fit me better...I haven't regreted it.  Since my first hunt with the 28, I have pretty much just hunted quail with either the 28 O/U or a 410 pump, they both make it more enjoyable hunt for me.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:30:36 AM »

I started looking for a new grouse gun, haven't made the purchase yet but think I have decided on one.
Wanted something light, didn't know if I wanted a semi auto or a o/u but after handling I decided on the o/u
If you get a chance check out Verona 501
even the berretta guys can't believe the quality & depening on where you get them from 599.00 to 699.00 & have selective triggers & ejectors
check out reviews & forums on shotgunworld.com I think

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »

I have hunted with an SKB .20 that belonged to a buddy. I was very pleased with it. He also had a .12 that was nice to shoot. I like the Rugers and was considering them. I find the Winchesters to darn heavy! Don't think I've ever heard of a Verona though. I've been doing guns shows for 7 yrs (not dealing guns) and can't recall ever seeing one come through the door. I've been checking out a lot of O/U that come walking through or on a table. Where are they manufactured? I hunted grouse with my Mossberg pump .20 for several years but sold it with the intentions of buying a Browning BPS .20 just haven't gotten to it yet.  8)

drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:13:34 PM »

Redhorse
They are made in Italy, thats why Beretta owners can't believe their as nice as there guns and less than half the price.
If you check out the forums on shotgun world, they have their own forum just for Verona's
The Reviews are fantastic, the people that had had problems(very few) rave about the customer service dept.
Even the head of the customer service a guy named Cress is a member of the forums.
I'll tell ya man the 20 o/u I looked at blew away the 20 1187 I looked at & balaced better. Weight was 6 1/8 pounds, blue finish, nice wood & finish for $699 & would save me $500.00 over a Ruger

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
chizekfarm
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 10:06:18 PM »

i had a 12ga. berretta 302a auto. i like the gun but couldnt hit any thing with it. all i did was empty all 5 shell on the bird and watch it fly away.  i went to a 28ga. over under  and my shoting improved . it is cheaper for me to shoot the 28ga. being i shout less and come home with more birds.  plus when the person next to you miss the bird and you down it  that person just stands there with there mouth open.  the 28 ga. shoots just as fast a 12 ga. but dont have as much shot.  plus santa claus likes it also he brought a single shot one for christmas for my 11-year old . you will love it  :lol:
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2004, 08:29:22 AM »

Figure I have a couple months to make up my mind and pick something. Just need enough time to bust a few clay birds before opening day.  :wink:  Will deffinately check out one of those Verona's!

Fourche River Quail
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 12:40:14 PM »

Redhorse, I have a 20 gauge O/U citori that my girlfriend bought for me about 4 year ago, at the time I had never owned a 20 ga. I only had 12 gauges. 4-1100's 12 ga, 1 mossberg 500 12 ga, 1 franchi 12 ga that absoulty kicked like a mule, after using the O/U for a couple of yrs. I sold all but one of my 12 gauge's which my son now has. He's still young and thinks bigger is better. I couldn't shoot them any more after having my neck operated on 3 times. OH YEAH, I also have my dads old sweet sixteen that was made around 1935 which I had completely restored about 20 yrs ago, It has not been shot since, killed my first deer and first quail with it. I would not go back to the 12 ga. for love nor money,( well maybe love when you get as old and broke down as I am I aint but 44 but had nine back surgeries money just don't mean much any more shore like that love though LOL),, I would like to shoot a 28, I have never shot one, I'll bet they are a sweet shooting gun.  Good luck with watever you choose, but just rember,,,

A PERSON MAKES HIS OWN LUCK!   Mark
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »

Reviving and old post here, but had to give a follow up.

Ended up getting a .20 ga Citori in the take down case myself. Not because I chose that particular gun, but because it fell into my lap. Couldn't pass it up for the money! have carried it in the field a few times now, and put a couple pheasant down for the dog with it just last week. Picked up an extra full and improved for it, still need a second modified tube so I can double up as needed.

Still gonna pick up a .28 one of these days!!

jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 10:24:28 AM »

have both a.28 and .410 in double barrel  dont know why i ever used anything for quail and partridge
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »