Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Just stopped turning!!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Just stopped turning!!!  (Read 9195 times)
jaime7997
Expert Member

« on: June 02, 2008, 10:47:05 PM »

Well, I took my BW eggs off the turner tonight... Getting to be that time! I have gone down to 90 eggs now out of 100. 8 clear, 1 blood ring, and 1 that I am still not sure about, I'll leave him in, just to be cautious. The air cell has a u-shaped area protruding in towards the center of the egg... Looks like it's been developing but I don't see any movement as of today.... Wait and see I guess!
Well, i'll post some photos once the little dudes hatch!! and dudettes.... I know how we get about the girl/boy issue on here....  s020
 j41
quail man

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 11:17:11 PM »

good job

i just had my japanese quail start hatching last saturday and i had 9 in the incubetor (dropped one) and i have 4 hatched a 5 left to hatch its pretty amazing wathcing them hatch. j41
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 12:28:08 PM »

Well.... I have 82 baby bw's!! Hopefully, 3 are still in the process of hatching... I had a minor catastrophe though when I checked them this morning. We went camping over the weekend and I came home and checked them twice Saturday and all was well... I came  home this morning and 4 had gotten underneath the wire floor in the incubator!!! drowned.  :x  Disappointing. I noticed yesterday that it was turned up a little in the corner but never thought anyhting of it. Well, I will the next time! A couple were stuck but still alive, we'll see how they do. But overall, for my first hatch of this size, and 1st quail ever, I think 82 out of 100 isn't bad! Will post pics soon!
And, those little buggers are quick! They jumped out of the incubator as we were taking them out! Lost one under the couch...... found him! j41 j45
CoopVilla
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 01:13:34 PM »

s98
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 07:56:20 PM »

So, they mostly seem to be doing fine, except for one chick. He seems to flop to the left and can't keep his balance. Legs look okay to me, not splayed or anything that I can tell. He seems more neurologic than anything. I'll attach links to a couple photos of him, see if you have any ideas. Thanks.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p305/jaime7997/IMG_2781.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p305/jaime7997/IMG_2782.jpg
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:06:42 PM »

He seems to flop to the left and can't keep his balance. Legs look okay to me, not splayed or anything that I can tell. He seems more neurologic than anything. I'll attach links to a couple photos of him, see if you have any ideas. Thanks.

You're probably correct, most likely brain, or nervous system damage.  Maybe caused by heat, or oxygen deprivation.  Sounds a little like "flip over disease", but that usually hits at a later age, and maybe not in Quail.  I doubt he will survive, long.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »

Kinda what i thought... Temp has been okay in the incubator, but I suppose he could have gotten short on O2 or maybe he was one of the few that got stuck in/under the wire floor, not sure. We'll see how he is 2moro... If he lives. pray for him... i3
CoopVilla
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 03:56:12 AM »

While not in disagreement with what has already been mentioned. There is usually more than one reason to examine. Regardless, these chicks rarely make it.

Not that I think its Spraddle - http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »

Thanks for the input. His (it's) legs are definitely not out to the sides. They are more likely to go inot full extension when he flops onto his side. Just seems like a brain issue to me. If it were a dog, I think I would know better.... Not too many people bring their chicks into the vet clinic for us to examine... LOL! He's still living this morning, and MAYBE a tad better on his feet. We'll see. I'm not getting my hopes up.
 ???
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »

Might as well cull the bird and get it overwith.  I've had them that flip over backwards everytime they try to stand up. Had one with its head turned, looking backwards too.

s47

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 11:17:23 AM »

The photos got moved.....
Here's a new link...
http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p305/jaime7997/Quail/
And a few new photos of the chicks.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »

I know Charlie.... He is most likely not gonna thrive. He fell in the little gatorade lid of water I have for him and got all wet... He's got issues. Although he looks slightly better, but I still think it looks grim. Robert actually didn't wanna knock him off.  I asked him to yesterday and he wanted to wait. IDK. We'll see.
CoopVilla
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:40:22 PM »

yes, you're right. It could be a pulled muscle (joint) or two. It may pop out it as long as its eating, drinking and crappin ok. Could pain be the reason for flops ? Was it dropped ? Did it get hung up and tried like crazy to free it self ?

Hows its breathing ? Are there any scratches or pin whole wounds or is it  in the gene pool ? Time will tell if thats what you want to do.. If you don't mind, Let us know what happens.. Hope it works out for you....

jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 03:07:26 PM »

Doesn't appear wounded or anything... He may have been one that was pinned under the wire floor in the incubator. Not sure. Could have some swelling somewhere causing the symptoms...  ??? He will drink if I drop it to him from a syringe, but I'm not sure he's eating. I had some Gro-gel but I gave it to the rest of the chicks.... Wish I had a little for him now.
Will keep y'all updated.
jaime7997
Expert Member

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 09:17:04 AM »

Well, he lives on... I took him outside last night when a friend was here and put him down, and belive it or not, he kinda ran all over the place... But when I put him back in the box, he flops... ???  Syringing H2O still, mixed food with it today... May run to TSC and get some vitamin/electrolyte stuff and try that on him.  He jumos into my hand now when I put it down to him.  This one may be sleeping in bed with us if it survives!!! s020 s020
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »