Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:09:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  My new pen, suggestions are welcomed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new pen, suggestions are welcomed  (Read 6144 times)
pietru
« on: May 31, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

Hi eveyone, I am new here and starting with quail. I am in the process of finishing my new pen and wanted to show you the end result (the kid couldn't resist showing off) and maybe pickup some ideas. I have 93 quails and 10 grouse. I wonder what I should do in terms of separations in the pen? I was thinking about closing an area for selected breeders and closing another spot for the grouse (I still don't know why I bougth these). Should I keep the males and females apart?

I will also extend the pen outside so they should have plenty of room. They will be able to move in and out.  I wonder how I will get them in for the night tough?

Any suggestion is welcomed!

PS : the pen is 12X12

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 03:54:10 PM »

Hi eveyone, I am new here and starting with quail. I am in the process of finishing my new pen and wanted to show you the end result (the kid couldn't resist showing off) and maybe pickup some ideas. I have 93 quails and 10 grouse. I wonder what I should do in terms of separations in the pen? I was thinking about closing an area for selected breeders and closing another spot for the grouse (I still don't know why I bougth these). Should I keep the males and females apart?

I will also extend the pen outside so they should have plenty of room. They will be able to move in and out.  I wonder how I will get them in for the night tough?

Any suggestion is welcomed!

PS : the pen is 12X12

Welcome aboard pietru!!

It is great to see the kids get involved in projects like this, even though they get in the way at times. The pen is more then ample for the quail, I see that you are going to raise them on wire, how are you going to clean the waste below? What about your flight pen, any ideas on size?

I would definitely suggest keeping the quail and grouse separated.
What kind of Grouse do you have? If it is the Ruffed Grouse, you will have to separate the male from the female after the mating, otherwise he will kill her.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
pietru
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 12:11:53 PM »

Hi Steve and thanks for the nice welcome.

Yes the kids get in the way what can you do :-)

I have absolutely no idea what kind of grouse they are. I didn't even know what kind of quail I got until I saw some picture.. quickly figured out they were Cortunix.  The place where I bought the chicks couldn't tell me. As you can see the store is a store for breeders. Next time I will make sure I will know. I will post pictures of the chicks, maybe someone can help?

About cleaning, I tought I might dig a little more under the pen and insert tarps that I can pull for cleaning. Hopefully this is a good idea. As for the outside pen, the size is still undecided. It will depend on my budget I think
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »

Hi Steve and thanks for the nice welcome.

Yes the kids get in the way what can you do :-)

I have absolutely no idea what kind of grouse they are. I didn't even know what kind of quail I got until I saw some picture.. quickly figured out they were Cortunix.  The place where I bought the chicks couldn't tell me. As you can see the store is a store for breeders. Next time I will make sure I will know. I will post pictures of the chicks, maybe someone can help?

About cleaning, I tought I might dig a little more under the pen and insert tarps that I can pull for cleaning. Hopefully this is a good idea. As for the outside pen, the size is still undecided. It will depend on my budget I think

pietru,

The tarp idea sounds excellent!! Rope on both side, thru the grommets, so you can pull to clean, and go to the other side to pull it back into place.

Ya, kids at that age are quite impressionable. Just include them when working with the birds and when it is time for them to take over they just might like it, if not, well you tried.

Yes, I have to admit, you do have a nice large size building accommodations .  Where are you located (what State)?

What are your intentions as far as the breeding of your quail and grouse? I do believe the Cortunix is a meat bird. The will eat you out of house and home and they produce a lot of waste. I believe they also start laying eggs at about 8 weeks… The other quail breeder around here would know for sure.

If you are only into the meat and eggs end of it, I wouldn’t worry about a flight pen size, just an outdoor veranda sort of thing. If you decide later on, on raising regular game birds Bobwhite Quail , then I would go with a flight pen the same width as your building and go as long as you can afford, and at least 8 foot high, with 1 inch Top-Flight, (trade name) netting, on the top and draped over the sides, 4 foot. Then from the bottom of the flight pen go below ground 2 foot, with heavy small gauge galvanized wire or galvanized metal roofing and up 2 foot along the whole entire perimeter side.

Then the balance of the sides of the pen, use 1 inch galvanized chicken wire to meet the draped top-flight netting.

Depending on your location, think about having enough top-flight netting so it can be dropped if there is a heavy snow load. During the summer support the center with PVC tubing (schedule 40) to give you the height that you will need.

Let me know what type of grouse you have.

Have a nice weekend!!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 05:21:40 PM »

Hey Steve,
Do you have any idea how much heat the Top-Flight netting can take.  We get really hot here in Central Calif and I have the netting over, aluminum tubing.  Just wondering if I should get concerned about premature break down of the netting in the heat?   Or anyone that can answer this question, If not I guess I will wait and see.

Also, the tarp idea under the pens is a great idea.  The raking is tough.  Thanks.

Thanks
Teresa
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 05:24:07 PM by MtBullion Gamebirds » Logged

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 05:41:13 PM »

Hey Steve,
Do you have any idea how much heat the Top-Flight netting can take.  We get really hot here in Central Calif and I have the netting over, aluminum tubing.  Just wondering if I should get concerned about premature break down of the netting in the heat?   Or anyone that can answer this question, If not I guess I will wait and see.

Also, the tarp idea under the pens is a great idea.  The raking is tough.  Thanks.

Thanks
Teresa

Teresa,

That's a good question, What size tubing do you have? If you are concerned about this, I would suggest using the black PVC pipe insulation that you would use to insulate hot and cold water pipes from freezing. The type that is split down the center and has two sided tape to stick the ends together with. Just a thought, it wouldn't hurt, and it would keep the wear-and-tare down from the netting rubbing on the tubing.

My netting is draped over 2x6 and it has been there since 2000. It has shown no signs of wear there, but I have had holes in the middle from the pheasants flying, and winter ice build up.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:42 PM »

It's 1 inch tubing.  That is a great idea.  Although I have the side netting tied to the top of the poles and then the top netting over it.  But I should be able to fit that black insulation over the top.  Thanks for the idea.   

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 06:00:20 PM »

Teresa,

No problem, glad to help.

Have a nice evening and a better weekend!!!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

pietru
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »

Thanks a lot for the tips Steve, to answer your questions, I was quite certain I was getting bobwhites (that was my goal) but hey since its not the case I will try to use them for dog training anyway even if bobwhites are ideal for that. Most of the birds will be used for the meat. Next year I think I will try to get bobwhites but I must say it goes very well with the cortunix. Right now the 10 grouse are mixed with the quail until I finish their enclosure and they all get along quite nicely. I will soon post pics of the grouse when Im done. Thanks again!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »