Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:49:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  My Quails Not laying eggs yet
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Quails Not laying eggs yet  (Read 5894 times)
mimpetlover19

Personal Text

« on: October 30, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »

Hello everyone .... s144 ???
I am new to  raising quail , although i have raised chickens and pigeons for some time (during my school yrs , now I'm in college)
I bought 6 Quails on Sept 1 , 2 males and 4 females (wat the shopkeeper told me) , then again 4 (2 M & 2 F) quails ... (i lost two of them  , one flew away in my absence and the other died , may be both were males) ..... now they are more than 2 months old ....... but they havnt started laying eggs yet ..... this is concerning me somewat ....
I guess it is bcuz it is the beginning of winter now (winter can get very cold here but never snows) ....
I dont know if the diet is proper or not , since I live in Bangladesh , we dont have very good access to good pet foods and stuffs (the ones I read on the internet) ... so i make a mix of  different foods like lentils , gram , rice , wheat , mustard and also add a feed that i buy from the quail shopkeeper (he said it is made specially for the quails to lay) ... water is always available , ...... i give them soil, sand and hay to play in and scratch and also used to give some bugs and earthworms (now too busy becuz of exams)  ... i also make the feed lactofermented and give dem sometimes
I kept them at first in an empty room which had good access to sunlight and fresh air ... now temporarily in a large chicken coop or house which is a bit dark  ...... wen i had time i used to open them in my netted/caged garden during the day

More concerning is another fact - even from over a month ago , i could feel a hard lump inside their bellies (many of them , i guess not in the males) , i thought it could b an egg , but no eggs laid  ..... there is still a lump inside nearer to the vent and now it is larger ... could it be an egg or is it something else

any plz help 

makesmiles

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 12:51:29 PM »

You did not say what species of quail that you have. That makes a difference as to the age that they will begin to lay. Also, light is a big factor to laying. They will need at least 10 to 14 hours of light each day, otherwise they will stop laying. They will also stop or reduce laying significantly in cold winter months. They may not start laying again until spring.

Don't know about your feed. Maybe someone else here can help with that.

The lump could be an egg and that is what it sounds like. If so, it will soon pass.
mimpetlover19

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:33:24 AM »

I dont really know wat species they are or wat breed .... may be japanese coturnix , only one type of quail is sold in my place until i know   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:36:11 AM by mimpetlover19 » Logged
mimpetlover19

Personal Text

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »