Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 09:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  When To Reintroduce
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When To Reintroduce  (Read 4906 times)
awolf

« on: June 15, 2007, 11:03:14 AM »

I have 10 hatchlings that are about three weeks old. I see that quail will let other birds come into the pen and they're no problems. Is three to four weeks too early. They can run fast.The kids even named one Forest after Bubba Gump.
Thanks Again
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 11:16:22 AM »

Well what species? And you are referring to an outside pen?
Because depending on the weather...if warm...3 weeks may be ok for Coturnix varient. But 3 weeks for quails that mature at 16 weeks, ie. bobwhite, valleys, etc. may be too soon.

Do you mean introducing them into a pen that already has mature quails?
I wouldn't recommend it if so. If they are same species, they may chase the chicks around for a few days. If the chicks manage to survive...the mature quails may accept them. But if different species, i would not recommend it.
awolf

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 11:21:37 AM »

They are all Valley . OK! What would be a good age to put them back in ? I have seen finches,sparrows and other small birds come into the cage ,eat right next to the quail and they just ignore each other. How about the five week mark.?
Thanks again
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 11:27:39 AM »

Again depending on your weather. If warm...they should be fine at 5 weeks.

Quails wont mind finches and birds but they will mind quails. Valleys arent as vicious as Bobwhites so they may be ok. They will chase the chicks when you introduce them. Territorial I guess. But as I mention, they will do this for a day or two then will accept them. You could always introduce one or two first to see how they will react. good luck.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »

Don't know about anyone else, but I've had very poor luck with introducing ANY age Quail to a pen with others in it.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51:41 PM »

Don't know about anyone else, but I've had very poor luck with introducing ANY age Quail to a pen with others in it.

No luck here with Bobs. Although, they can be weined over a period of time.  Take one out of the pen for a day or more and put it back= Bloodshed and usually death.

I wouldn't even attempt it until they were older, closer to 6 weeks anyway.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Vrex

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 03:29:07 PM »

I have a question along these lines, I have 3 hens laying so my chicks are hatching every few days.  I purchased 100 day old 2 weeks ago, can I put my hatchlings into my large brooder with the ones that are older or should I put them in individual brooders.

Thanks,
Mike
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »

just depends on size difference. If not too much of a size difference they should be fine together as chicks. You'll want to seperate them if they are different species when they get older.

Im currently brooding Valley and Mountain quails together that are a week apart. Had some Mountain quail chicks die from being smothered cuz they are the younger and still a bit smaller of the two.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 11:31:40 AM »

2 week old and new borns=  considerable size difference.  Crushing/trompled will be a factor to consider.

I've had new borns get attacked by their siblings that where a couple of days older. I turn down or turn off the lights when putting them in the brooder with the elders.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
TopKnot

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 03:08:16 PM »

I would not recommend introducing young valley quail with adults at this time of year since they adults may still be in the breeding season and apt to be more aggressive.  I've had good luck introducing valleys and gambel's in with eixtsing birds in the late-fall/winter months, but I colony breed and keep 15-20 birds in 15'*40' pens so they have plenty of room to get away from each other if need be.  The smaller the pen I'm guessing the more difficulties will arise.  When I used to raise bobwhites no matter what time of the year, any new birds introduced were immediately beat up on.

In terms of putting young birds in outside pens, living where I do with summer highs in the 100's, lows in the high 60's I can get away with putting them out at 4-5 weeks depending upon them being fully-feathered and doing well in the brooder.  Even then, I set up a brooder lamp and partially enclose a corner of the pen so they have a warmer place to huddle at night.
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »

I have had success with introducing new birds into the population here by just keeping the new birds in a separate cage within the larger pen with the old birds.  After a few days they seem to accept them to a point that there have been no deaths just a few disagreements.  Age is definitely important because if they are too young they will not last the night with the larger birds.  I hope it will work for you.
awolf

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 03:04:09 PM »

I did put their cage next to the adult birds. If looks could kill they would be dead. It funny watching them throw looks and stare down the younger birds. Great idea.  Will do it that when they are a little older. Not yet.
Thanks
MtBullion Gamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 03:40:53 PM »

I got home from work last night and went out to the flight pens.  I immediately noticed a BW hen huddled in the corner of my Chukar pen?  They are next to eachother, but I have no idea how she got there.  She was almost completely bald sitting in the middle of a nest of feathers.  Those Chukar had stripped her clean.  I am amazed that she was not bleeding anywhere.  Just bald, kind of a funny site.  But she is pretty traumatized.  I have separated her by herself for awhile.  Poor thing, she looks like a plucked chicken.  I still haven't figured out how she got thru.

Teresa
Mt. Bullion Gamebirds
www.mtbulliongamebirds.com
Licensed Gamebird Breeder by the California Department of Fish and Game.  A.I. clean tested.  Not currently N.P.I.P.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »