Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:51:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  3am power out
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3am power out  (Read 2852 times)
AA Plantation
« on: June 25, 2007, 06:51:39 AM »

This morning at 3am the power cut off from a thunder storm. I rushed down to my release boxes to crank up the generator.
after getting the generator running and the brooder lights back on i checked on them.
They were stacked up in a corner. I open the lid to move them around and noticed a few dead. After checking all the boxes, i had 28 casualties. They had been doing so good i had only lost 3 this week untill now.
the power went off and it took me 10-15 minutes to get everything back in order.
I can't imagine what would have happened if i didn't get up.
myriadin
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:14:03 PM »

Sorry to hear about your losses. That's gotta suck.

I haven't started yet with my own hens yet (I plan to keep just a few for eggs), but I've had other animals die in my care, so I know how it feels.

Were you able to use the meat from the dead birds? How old were they? What temperatures were they exposed to?

Best of luck in the future.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 10:16:38 AM »

This morning at 3am the power cut off from a thunder storm. I rushed down to my release boxes to crank up the generator.
after getting the generator running and the brooder lights back on i checked on them.
They were stacked up in a corner. I open the lid to move them around and noticed a few dead. After checking all the boxes, i had 28 casualties. They had been doing so good i had only lost 3 this week untill now.
the power went off and it took me 10-15 minutes to get everything back in order.
I can't imagine what would have happened if i didn't get up.

Sorry to hear that. Just goes to show that they don't have to get cold to get killed. In captivity, these birds are their own worst enemy at times.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
sugar run gamebirds

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 01:13:30 AM »

sorry to hear about your power.we had the power go out for 28 hours last week.at least u had a generator.i was DUMB and thought nothing about it.we lost our eggs but my quail in the brooder all survived THANK GOD.LOL 

Tennessee red,Mexican speckled, and bobwhite quail,chukar,ringneck pheasants

be careful what you say about a mans wife and kids but be DAMN careful what you say about his bird dogs......
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »