Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:57:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Thermostat problems
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thermostat problems  (Read 3326 times)
acannon

Personal Text

« on: July 01, 2009, 09:25:34 PM »

I just finished making and incubator out of an old wooden tool box I had. I put a light bulb in it and wired in a water heater thermostat. I've let it stay on for the las 2 days but I can't get the temp quite right. The best I can do is 101.8 before it cuts off and it does't cut back on until 95.7. Is this going to prevent me from hatching any eggs? Is there a better way for me to regulate the temp? Should I just give up and buy a hovabator?? Not really what I want to do but I will if I must.
jimmurray3
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:09:25 AM »

Try getting a wafer thermostat and see if it makes a difference. Also what kind of thermomiter are you using. Do you have an egg turner if not it will be hard to keep the right temp opening and turning egg by hand.  ty2 Jim
acannon

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 03:36:51 PM »

I don't have an egg turner. It's pretty primative. I bought a digital thermometer with a humidity reader on it and I have another regular thermometer in the other corner.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »

Too much of a differential (on and off timing) on practically any "every day" thermostat, none are good for incubating.  Some stats may be used for a brooder, but incubating has to be more consistent/precise. Do as jimmurray mentioned and get a wafer thermostat, it's the most inexpensive way to go and most reliable. Get an extra wafer for a backup while you're at it, they are only a few bucks.  Take a look at cutlersupply.com for them.   Some feed stores may have them in stock.

The best I can do is 101.8 before it cuts off and it does't cut back on until 95.7. Is this going to prevent me from hatching any eggs?

More than likely.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
acannon

Personal Text

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »

Will do. Thank you.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »