Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 05:41:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Advice on Basic Incubator Selections
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Advice on Basic Incubator Selections  (Read 3244 times)
tanaro2
« on: May 20, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »

I am needing advice on buying an incubator for Quail.  I am not looking at high end models nor cheap models.  I believe your Basic Styrofoam Incubator.  I don't mean to repeat a thread or start a topic that is covered but would like to know the opinions of the experienced on this page on what to spend my money on as well as other beginners reading this.  I plan to spend about $160.  I am looking for an incubator that is pretty much hands off capability.  Automatic egg turner, thermostat to regulate its own temp without adjusting it periodically along with a fan system.  I have seen several advertised and know nothing about them to make a logical decision without some experienced advice.  I would obviously like to get the most reliable and easy to use model for the money.  Another question is that if I buy a model that comes with fan etc, do I have to mount the extra equipment or should it come installed if buying one with all the gadgets.  Model recommendations would greatly be appreciated.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 03:47:25 PM »

go to    www.gqfmfg.com  they have all the information on their site.  plush id recommend buying from redoak game birds  he runs this site and his prices are good.
Scot
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 03:49:45 PM »

plush for $149.95  they have all you will need to buy 

http://www.redoakgamebirds.com

here is Larry's site
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 04:02:11 PM by sp2207 » Logged
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »

yea. ask him if he got the Preset Hova-bator kit with egg turner, and free 30 jumbo eggs. That's what I'm using and it's great. It self regulates temp.
sp2207
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2006, 06:21:26 PM »

he sent me some info on this set up  it comes from GQF  directly so if you order it through him all he dose is calls GQF, so he can get it if your interrested .  I plan on ordering through Larry in a week or so.
Scot
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 06:33:24 AM »

Here's a tip during incubation for these type incubators. Check the water level in the trough of the plastic liner often. like every 4-5 days or so. Maybe more often if the weather is really warm. At first, I thought it was designed to hold enough water to last atleast one incubation period. Unfortunately it doesn't. Found it dry one day. It may have cost me some eggs etc. Had some chicks with crippled feet as well.
tomgoodell
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 12:36:49 PM »

As a novice, I can share my experience in getting into this. About a year ago my daughter wanted to raise Button Quail, so we started the research process. We bought a Hovabator that came with a fan (already  mounted), and we bought the egg turner with it, i ncluding the reduced size cups for Button Quail eggs. It had excellent instructions. I believe the total cost was around $130. It's been a great incubator, we've had successful hatches each time we used it.

I did find that it took a little time to get the temperature stabililzed. I bought a digital kitchen thermometer that reads out to the tenth of a degree, and kept that in the incubator.
tanaro2
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:53:54 AM »

Hmm.  Was that an electric thermostat model that automatically adjusted the temp?  Or was that a model that you had to tinker with to get the temp stabilized??     I would also like to thank all who gave me their opinions.  I think I will contact Larry when I am ready to purchase.  From what I've read from other posters and the few dealings I've had with him, he seems like a very good guy and would steer my right.  Thanks again.   Mike.
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:30 AM »

For trouble free incubator....yes the Pre-set elictronic thermostat incubators. good luck.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »