Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:16:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Red tailed Hawks and Owls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red tailed Hawks and Owls  (Read 45875 times)
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 09:12:42 PM »

there are a couple of suggestions here:

http://www.dovepage.com/cgi-dovepage/mb/2465-2.shtml

if you cant find anything that works you could probably shut away your birds for a few days and if the hawk thinks there's no more food to be had there he'll move on to better huntin grounds...

-quailer370

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
mikken

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 11:20:23 PM »

Oh - interesting!

Ok, they say that spraying them with the hose works, so how about one of these -

http://www2.yardiac.com/long.asp?item_id=885&promo=google

Motion-activated so you don't even have to be there!
rushcreek

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2005, 10:01:50 AM »

Okay, the sprinkler system looks interesting, but we survive on stored rain water here. Not enough water pressure. I can't even get one of those sprinklers to work in the yard, and I would be trying to cover about an acre of pens.
  Putting the birds away for awhile would be great except I've got close to 6,000 quail in the flight pens right now.
I think I'm just s**t out of luck at this point.

Rush Creek Quail Farm
http://www.rushcreek.net
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2005, 04:30:08 PM »

Yea, I saw that too. Just to many birds to keep in the barn, and the sprinkler system has got to be a joke. What do you do in the winter, run heat strips.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 04:30:47 PM »

This site has some good info on some economical things you could try.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex916?opendocument

Or you can try to beat them with technology. I have no experience with these products so you may want to do a little more research first. good luck
http://www.birdcontrolpro.com/product_birdgard_pro.htm
http://www.promolife.com/products/birds.htm#birdgardproplus
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2005, 04:39:28 PM »

Well...Bastard was able to take 4 of my 5 week ould jumbo browns over a 2 day period. I don't always have a problem with predators since I have all my birds caged. But this particular make shift cage is just for holding my meat bird chicks. He must've pounced on the top till the cage came off the floor. I've been getting regular visits by this hawk. Came down with the migration I guess. I think it is a red tail hawk, judging by the size and color.

went and put some aluminum streamers by my cages as that link suggested. hope it helps.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2005, 05:48:02 PM »

Well...Bastard was able to take 4 of my 5 week ould jumbo browns over a 2 day period. I don't always have a problem with predators since I have all my birds caged. But this particular make shift cage is just for holding my meat bird chicks. He must've pounced on the top till the cage came off the floor. I've been getting regular visits by this hawk. Came down with the migration I guess. I think it is a red tail hawk, judging by the size and color.

went and put some aluminum streamers by my cages as that link suggested. hope it helps.

Well, well, well-come to the club! If they are there, I quarantee they will remain until the festivities has ceased.

We had high winds and clear to cloudy skies yesterday here in West Virginia. I am located in a hollow, I counted, 8 Red-tailed hawks circling the ridge tops. I was waiting for some of the S.O.B.'s to drop by.

It seems since the colder weather has arrived, all the Turkey Vultures has migrated, along with some of the non-resident crows. This leaves a wide open space for the Red-Tailed Hawks to site in their prey.

As far as todays weather, no wind or breeze. I didn't spot one Red-Tailed hawk all day. I guess these birds of prey work in random cycles.

Good luck with your problem, and keep us updated.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2006, 04:51:10 PM »

Well here it is Jan. 7th 2006 and the Red-Tailed Hawk saga continues. I went out to feed the birds this morning around 10am and I had one dead cock pheasant laying on top of the net and one hen with the head on the to of the net and the body laying in the flight pen.

So much for migration!

Happy New Year to all new and old members!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2006, 04:57:17 PM »

............and here is the head of the hen on top of the netting.

On a side note about posting pictures,
to bad we can only have a total of 192KB in any one post at a time.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

birdman
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2006, 05:51:27 PM »

Red tail hawks must stop and the Coopers too.Today as I drove from Burnsville back home colse to Summersville I counted 11 Red tail hawks and 1 what I think was a Cooper..They need to lift the ban from them being federal protected...Of course they never will since this state of WV does not really except the gamebird,its not a money maker for them..Now if these hawks were eating bears,deer and turkey all the time Im sure there would be a season on them... :laugh:
quailer370
Expert Member

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2006, 09:43:27 PM »

someone mentioned a scarecrow earlier i think maybe if you made one holding a gun..

the problem with hawks is that they dont really have any natural enemies...

-quailer
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 09:49:03 PM by quailer370 » Logged

life's like a bucket of wood shavings, except when the shavings are in a pail...then life's like a PAIL of wood shavings :D
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2006, 07:18:33 AM »

Well I put in a call to the Feds, Fish and Wildlife Section. I asked them to see if their is any permit to control the hawk problem that I have here on my farm, since I am running a business.

They said that they will check into it and send any permit paperwork within the next week.

We shall see what happens!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

joshblue

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2006, 05:18:30 PM »

not sure but ive always wanted one where can i get one

email me at joshblue@bellsouth.net make sure you write "quail" in the re i usually dont check names i dont know
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2006, 05:59:41 AM »

not sure but ive always wanted one where can i get one

Since they are a Federal and State protective Raptors, you need a special permit. You will have to find someone in your area that is into Falconry.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2006, 06:03:29 PM »

Still no reply from the Feds on my problem. Knock on Wood I haven't had a hawk kill since I staked the dead birds around the top of the flight pen. It is not a pretty site, but it seems effective so far.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »