Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Newbie about to hatch Chinese Button Quail needing advice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Newbie about to hatch Chinese Button Quail needing advice  (Read 2100 times)
jsblindside

Personal Text

« on: July 21, 2009, 07:45:21 PM »

I just got about 15-20 button quail eggs and they're gonna go into the incubator as soon as I get them.  I've heard about 16-20 days they hatch.  Do I leave them in the incubator and once they hatch, move them to the Brooder?  I am going to make a custom plastic storage bin brooder for both the babies and the adults.  It is a large bin and I've heard at full grown size the buttons are the size of a baby chick, so I will have enough room.  I also bought a brooder lamp with a clip and a 25w red party bulb for light and heat.  Also, do I need a top for the brooder bin?  Could I use a wire mesh to cover it?  I've heard the babies pop up and hit the mesh, but do you think that would be okay without hurting them? Anyways, I was wondering if I could use Pine Shavings as flooring for the brooder, or if paper towels would be okay?  Both are very easy to replace once they poop everywhere.  I've also heard they poop and it gets all over their feet...do i need to clean their feet all the time?  Anyways, I am very new at this and would appreciate and help you guys could give.

s85 ty2
greyghost
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09:21 PM »

Hi Newbie, I know you have a screen name, but now you are Newbie. I am going to try your ?'s one by one. Your chicks should hatch in 16-18 days. 17 is normal, but they haven't read that book. The chicks envelope the yolk just before hatching and can go without food and water for 24 plus hours after hatch. Leave the grown birds out of the brooder, this space is for chicks only. Adult birds do not do well with too much heat, it will kill them! Also, trade in the plastic for a basic cardboard box, they breath and dissipates  heat better.
I hope you mean a 250 watt heat lamp. Red is good. You will need a top when your chicks get big enough to bounce out, wire is good. Use 1/2x1/2 inch.
 I use paper towels, unless their legs splay out, then replace with tool box liner paper. It is sticky for good foot grip. AND replace the paper towels, or what you are using daily. Their feet will stay clean. s016 Good luck, and Boooo from the Ghost!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »