Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:43:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Poultry Production
| | |-+  Grey Jungle Fowl info needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grey Jungle Fowl info needed  (Read 9653 times)
coveyrun
« on: April 25, 2004, 08:35:15 AM »

If anyone knows of some good sources on raising and caring for grey jungle fowl please share it with me. I have done searches on the computer but wasn't satisfied with the infor.  For instance, Is it imperative to provide heat for them in the winter? Thanks, Tim
power
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 09:08:58 AM »

delet
IamTomm
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 11:23:39 PM »

Coveyrun,

If you go to the gbwf.org message board and post thier I'm sure you will find any info or birds for sale thier. Theres a lot of people thier every day so someone shoud be able o help.

On the heat. If you get them from a breeder who is in a colder climate you shouldn't have to worry to much about heating them.  I am in central Pa. And I know people who had them and all they did was use a heat lamp. I have grey peacock pheasants. And This past winter I didn't heat them once. And I think greys are a little more sensative to the cold than jungle fowl.  And we had temps well below 30 some nights. Its just a matter of hardening them to the cold.
Scorpion
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 02:55:57 AM »

I raise grays, they are not at all different than raising game type chickens such as the cornish, kraienkoppe, phoenix, old english and leghorn breeds. As for the difference in reds and grays being heat. I've found through the years don't baby the birds or thier immune system wont fight dissease off well.I live in a Southern climate where the lows are not generally under 20 degrees. I have a 1500 watt cheap heater with an adjustable thermostat and set the shed at about 35-40 degrees(stays 35 at night and 40 during the day.I put up plastic on the walls for drafts.You may want to bump the temp up, I just leave it above freezing enough for the water not to freeze. I also use 5 -60 watt light bulbs at ground level , where they can bask when needed. They would not stay under them at night insisting to roost so I put a timer on them to turn off. Another alternative would be a small pen for each trio with a light in it as the heat source to keep the water thawwed and provide heat for the birds.
 Also provide a good electrolyte and vitamin supplement . Russell Super Vitamins works well. It can be put in the water at all times. These birds tend to suffer from a vitamin b-12 deffiency just as turkeys do. The supplement is a must. B-12 deffecieny usually leads to leg problems, uncontrolable weakness, disorientation and memory loss(in humans). Also try Russell Copper Sulfate it can be added to the water to prevent algea fungus and diseases(usually only needed in warmer months). I have used both items for 10 plus years continually and never had a bad result. Just remember when you sink  money into a hobby , use a little preventative medicine to ensure your investment isn't lost. Get a good poultry disease book and buy antibiotics, wormers and insecticides before you encounter a problem so you will not be waiting 3-5 days for delivery while you are watching your flock diminish.
If you have room for a chicken yard plant some winter time greens out there around late fall.This will give the birds initiative to get out of the shed and heat themselves up and at the same time they are injesting a high protien food sorce and saving you money. In summer I just sew bird seed in the yard, it grows some very nice annuals. In winter try winter rye grass, winter wheat, legumes (any clovers) collards or turnips. Any type of deer food plot seed intended for fall/winter at your local farm supply store will do just fine(these seed mixtures are generally much cheaper than buying the grains individually and are more nutritious than providing one or two seed types.. Just remeber to lyme and fertalize when you broadcast. I raise greens, grays and reds, useing these methods I have never lost an adult due to illness. Just keep them warm, provide them with adequate shelter and a good protien source (I like around 18%) and keep the rodent and predator population in check and you will do fine.
coveyrun
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 09:40:17 AM »

Thanks for all that infor. You did convince me that I am not ready for these kinds of birds. I really don't want to heat them and another person told me that they can crow quite loudly. I have neighbors pretty close and they can get cranky with too much noise. Appreciate your help. Tim
Scorpion
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 11:21:51 AM »

Yes they're extremely loud. On the other hand you may want to look into raising bantams. The old english game crow a lot but have a shrill little voice that isn't to loud. The dutch bantam crows a little less and has about the same noise level. The japanese bantam rarely crows and is a little quieter than the other two. The old english bames have the widest aray of colors. The dutch are a good trade off for color vs attitude( not as cocky, a little gentler and crows less). The japs are the best for close confinement, males can even be housed together as they are not as aggresive and are quite calm and quiet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »