Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  Members Pictures
| | |-+  Massey Ferguson Planter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Massey Ferguson Planter  (Read 35288 times)
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« on: January 09, 2008, 08:40:43 AM »

The birds are going to like this baby if I ever get it back in operation. I drug it out of the brush at a friends place after about 20 plus years and got everything to turning/working. Parts are practically non-existent for this late 50's, early 60's Massey Harris Ferguson model 39/78 corn planter. Most if not all of this unit was made in Canada.  Got any parts layin' around Reeves?  ^-^  It actually doesn't need anything........yet!

(Click on pic to ENLARGE):
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:43:44 AM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:12 AM »

Great find! I love old iron. Things used to be built to last, not like our Bic use it and throw it away attitude now.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »

WOW ! Very cool there Chuck !

But, as with all free things, you'll now have to buy a couple draft type horses, all the tack, feed for the hay burners, barn and corral for them....that free corn planter shouldn't cost you any more than about 20k to use  s020

If you do end up needing parts.....remember those pics I posted with a huge yard/field full of old equipment ? I can try to get his number....or if he has a computer , put you in touch with him.
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 12:30:12 PM »

We had one of those in our woods! And i was going to drag it out and fix-it up and use it, but then my dad gave it to one of our neighbors and now he is using it as a lawn ornament s020 s176
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »

....... one of our neighbors and now he is using it as a lawn ornament

s20

That's too bad..... s47

I'll post some more pics as it goes, I've had to do some manufacturing of my own to get this thing into working order. Machined a few pieces here and there. It's been quite a bit of work and about $200 so far. I'm not trying to make a show piece out of it, I'm wanting a reliable piece of usable equipment when finished. 

a70

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:07:21 AM »

Could have bought a 5 dollar hoe and put the kid(s) to work planting the corn  :grin:

Of  course, you would then have idle hands, and you know what they say about that....
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:52 AM »

Could have bought a 5 dollar hoe and put the kid(s) to work planting the corn  :grin:

s020

I'm not so sure about that..........the mental anquish may be too great.  It's probably better to spend my time and money on the planter instead of a phsyciatrist.

:-|

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »

....it may be ready by spring?

Jake Levi
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:29 AM »

Hey Charlie

last week in July, bring it up to the Oscoda Cnty Fair at Mio/Fairview Mi. a nice vacation drive for you.

We have LOTs of restored and working equipment, one thing that helps is a sizeable Amish and Mennonite population, they dont exhibit but are a good source for the rest of us for equipment.

Jake Levi
Curran, MI

"A government big enough to give you all that you want is big enough to take all that you have".
Thomas Jefferson
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 09:48:31 AM »

Looks like a new cross shaft & bearing ?

Forgot to mention, there is a Tractor/old machinery museum in the town near me. Have to make time to go see one day.....
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 05:49:06 PM »

Now all you need is a silo, a hammermill and a feed mixer.  j1

Reeves have you ever gone to Reynolds in Wetaskiwin?
Acres and acres of old farm equip. and planes. They had that huge Grizz. that native women shot with the 22 it is over 12' tall/long.

Manchurian x, Ring Neck, Silver, Lady Amherst, Red Golden,Yellow Golden, Impeyens, Swinhoe, Humes Bartailed Pheasants, Chukkar Partridge and Ringnecked Doves!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 05:54:40 PM »

Reeves have you ever gone to Reynolds in Wetaskiwin?
Acres and acres of old farm equip. and planes. They had that huge Grizz. that native women shot with the 22 it is over 12' tall/long.

Haven't been there. However, I did hear/read about the bear. World record, if I remember right. She shot it because it was robbing her trap line. Nuts ! (re: .22)
labmancan
Expert Member

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »

A fellow would reallllly wan't to stay on her good side :-X :grin:

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 12:51:01 PM »

Now all you need is a silo, a hammermill and a feed mixer. 

It's coming.  One piece at a time......one day at a time.   

Looks like a new cross shaft & bearing ?

Yes,  actually I cut the center out of fertilizer cross shaft and replaced just that piece. The bearing is of my doings (still on the drawing board), in order to take pressure off of the crossshaft near the gear where it had broken in the past.

(Click Pic to enlarge):

« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 08:58:20 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2008, 08:18:54 AM »

(Click on Pic to Enlarge):

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »