Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:03:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  No eggs for two months now?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No eggs for two months now?  (Read 3774 times)
!BigHogLeg!
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:37:11 PM »

Hello,
   I live down south where it's been warm and cozy until just recently. I have a nice shop with a fan and great lighting for sixteen hours a day. I have about a hundred of the Dark Range Giant Coturnix inside this building. I feed them with the Lone Star Game Bird Breeder Layer crumbles. I supplement the feed with Red Cross Pigeon Grit. Just finnished a week of BMD a couple weeks ago. My problem is that I haven't seen an egg for about three months now. I live in the city and no snakes around. Have already killed all the rats. My birds are young, between eight and sixteen weeks of age.  Do any of you know what happens to these Coturnix to make em quit laying like this? I have feed them almost eight bags of feed for basically nuthing. I'm ready to kill the bunch and start over with some plain ole Texas A&M's. Do these birds stop laying at certain times of the year? I thought they layed all year long. Thanks in advance!

Mark.
quailfriend

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 04:50:50 PM »

try increasing the light. If they haven't laid before than they are probly still to young.  They are ready to lay at 8 weeks but may not start untill week 15 or so. the temp needs to at or above 70 (I think somewhere in there)

Good Luck

12 ga. shotgun shells $5.00
candybar                   $.75
13 gallons gasoline    $26.31 (ouch)
taking a three day weekend to quail hunt with your dog---------priceless

remember a bad day hunting is better than a good day working.
!BigHogLeg!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 02:58:47 AM »

Ok. I just can't understand this. I still do not get any eggs out of these birds. I have texas a&m's and the jumbo brown coturnix. I feed the breeder layer feed and they get 15 hours light a day. I treated them with BMD and the poop did tighten up. I thought these type of quail layed year round. Last year and the year before that I got eggs all the time. I do have the birds under flouresent shop lights. Could this be it? Someone please let me know what I am doing wrong this year. Has anyone else had this problem? It's blowing my mind trying to figure this one out.  Thanks in advance!

BHL
pgbirdman
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 10:54:53 PM »

I would seriously try 18 hours a day.   You want to simulate summer conditions.  I have also noticed that often when I expect a bird to be laying and its not, add a "falsie" egg and within the week they will start.  Where are they SUPPOSED to lay??  They usually lay everywhere else (not sure if you looked).  What about the male/female ratio?  I raise Bantams and Quail and I find the Quail are much harder to "fool".   I also now if I've got too many males when the egg production goes down (even if the # of females is up).  Too many males is stressfull for the females.  Trying to help...keep me posted
Nedley
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 11:05:17 PM »

could the flourescent shop lights be an issue? .. just wonder, I know for plants that they will not simulate sunlight properly most of the time unless you buy a special type. I run just a little incadescent bulb on my cortunix and have eggs running out my ears.

just a thought

Ned
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »