Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:13:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Production and Business
| |-+  Gamebird Business Aspects
| | |-+  Different Markets
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Different Markets  (Read 11214 times)
Bobwhite quail24
« on: October 16, 2008, 02:58:26 PM »

I know there are several markets for game birds including dressed birds, live, wings, eggs, etc. but i've never heard onf anyone selling dead birds to taxidermists. How many of you here sell to the taxidermy trade?
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 03:42:09 PM »

Hadn't thought about it............but sounds like it could be another market.  Thanks for the idea! i5
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:58:47 PM »

I know there are several markets for game birds including dressed birds, live, wings, eggs, etc. but i've never heard onf anyone selling dead birds to taxidermists. How many of you here sell to the taxidermy trade?

Hadn't thought about it............but sounds like it could be another market.  Thanks for the idea! i5

I wouldn't get involved in that unless you are going to supply the birds locally. They are a picky bunch of people. What you may feel is a perfect bird, may not be in the eyes of the taxi. I know, I am a P/T er myself. A lot of the taxis raise there own birds just for this reason.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »

:-o  Thanks for the warning!!
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »

I have sold lots of birds to them. You have to just make sure that the bird is of Taxidermist quality and what that means is the bird is in perfect feather no if an`s or butts Perfect. And the only way that they can get that way is for them to be at least 2 yrs and older and NO pin feathers and raised in a pen by themselves that has plenty of room. This is not a market for the beginner, but it is a good market. As Steve says these guys will nail you if that bird is not perfect...

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:30:16 PM »

???  Slider, how do you kill the birds for the taxidery market.  Scissors aren't a good idea are they? s85
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 11:01:50 PM »

I always ask the Taxidermist how they want the bird to be killed. There are several methods that do not disturb the feathers. I had rather not discuss them here. Someone may be lurking in the shadows...The buyer will tell you how they want it preformed.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 11:10:33 PM »

c49

tweezy50
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 12:33:32 AM »

Thanks Slider.....Looks like we need to watch out for  CharlieHorse!!!! s020
slider
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 07:28:30 AM »

s020

nmbirder

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 07:02:04 PM »

Depending on the bird, you might want to look into the fly tying thing. they use quiet a varity of feather typs.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »