Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 01:56:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Stupid bird
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stupid bird  (Read 2865 times)
galaxie428

« on: June 08, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »

I live in IN and our wild bobwhite population around here is very sad. Since I have a few birds I use for training, I have a few wild ones that I see hanging around. I have one male that I see quite often but today I saw a female. I was back at the barn with my dog and all of a sudden my dog pointed. I figured he had a bird but I couldn't see it. Anyway, I walked up there and kicked it up. That stupid bird flew up to the house which is a couple hundred yards away and right into the kitchen window glass and committed suicide. I couldn't beleive it. My wife was at the window when it happened and she said she about pee'd down her leg. I saw the window flex when it hit. I am surprised it didn't break it! Stupid bird! Guess what I am eating tomorrow night?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 07:21:33 PM »

Steak ?

:grin:

Cool your dog picked up on it, with you raising them and all !

Had a few flying predators hit the pen wire before. The size of the dent in the wire surprised me that no dead bird was in the yard.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:33:37 AM »

s020

The only way you could beat that, would be if, the bird broke through the window and landed in a pan. 

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:44:15 PM »

If your wife had pee'd down her leg, you might not be having any dinner for a long time let alone quail ala king.
galaxie428

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:06:10 PM »

I am glad the bird didn't break the window, that would have been all I needed!

My wire said that bird was about the third bird to hit the window that day she said. But she did say that one was by far the hardest. And of course, it was the only one laying there dead.

The funny or I guess not so funny thing is that the bird was flying at about the same level as the top of the roof. I thought he was going to fly over and then all of the sudden she took a nose dive right into the window. I did not hear her say bonsai or anything.

When I cleaned her, she had an egg inside of her. It was not fully developed but that is one more bird that won't make it.
jbird
Expert Member

Gods Creatures are for everyone to enjoy

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »

galaxie428 ,  I don't know what it is about windows and birds, but I have a sliding glass door going out to the back deck of my house.  Well the wife feeds the local wild birds in our back yard and then here comes the house cat to see if he can get lucky.  For some reason they, the birds think the sliding door must be a short cut around or over the house,  anyway dead bird.
galaxie428

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 07:32:00 AM »

Well I guess one good thing about this is I had a meal fit for a king last night! I fried her up along with a few others and some dove to go along with them. Add some canned green beans from the garden and some gravy and that is what I call a meal.

Jason
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »

Fine dining... quail into glass :grin:
Still can't get my beens to grow in the can j45

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
galaxie428

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »

The conditions have to be just right but it sure saves a lot of time pick, cleaning and canning if you can get them to just grow in there to begin with  :wink:
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »