Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:14:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  need advice about transporting chicks?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need advice about transporting chicks?  (Read 1715 times)
komer

gamebird breeder wannabe

« on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »

in 4 days will getting 1 day old hungarian chicks...but must go for them with my car for about 120km from place where iam...how do you transport 1 day old chicks?should i put some 12v lamp in box ,or turn heating on?i supose that they can be  24h without food and water after they hatch...so with that will be no problem,plz give me some advice because i want that chicks survive that trip....
thanks!
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »

If you have them in cardboard chick boxes, they should be fine.  That is not at all a long distance to transport them.  I've transported many across Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona in the summer.  I used shade screen to block direct sun, and set the airconditioner at 80-85 (F).  I use two or three electronic thermostats with remote sensors to monitor Temperature in different boxes, while driving.  You could substitute burlap for the shade.  With this method, I have transported chicks in temperatures up to 107F.  If it is cool enough to need heat, I'd still cover the boxes with open weave cloth, to avoid sudden temperature changes.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »