Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:32:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Pheasant Pen Foliage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant Pen Foliage  (Read 4311 times)
cherndon712

« on: January 03, 2009, 12:38:39 PM »

So far I've planted Farrow and Dwarf Blue Leaf Arctic Willow in the pens, done last spring. The Farrow is more for them to hide from me than for shade. Reeves suggested hops, but I'm wondering what others I can use for shade.  These are some others that I liked.
Burning Bush - Compacta
Japanese Honeysuckle - Halliana
I've seen a lot of vines, like the Halliana. My question with these is that a lot of them flower. Is that ok?
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 01:19:32 PM »

http://www.cbif.gc.ca/pls/pp/poison?p_x=px

Above is just one of many sites to look up toxic plants.
Although some people will say to not worry, I always look the plant/bush/tree up to see. If it shows to be toxic, I do not plant them, as it just isn't worth the risk.

I notice you mention lots of bushes. You'll also want to look into various trees to plant. I tend towards the conifers. I like the year round green.
Cedars are great because they can be trimmed to help them fill out. Double or triple rows staggered.
The hens will use this type of area to get away from the male in breeding season. On hot days they'll all use it for shade.
It also stays cool underneath, as you will have to water the trees and grass to keep all in good health.

When choosing a vine, read up on them with care. Take for example the Honeysuckles. They will form vines that harden and stay in place. These can cause troubles in areas with snow loads to consider.
I live in northern Alberta, Canada. Snow is a given. That is the main reason I like vines like hops, as each fall they can be cleared from the wire, all the way to the ground. After a couple years, the roots are son well established, they grow well over the pen by the time it is the hot season.
Plant these about a foot and a half to two feet away from the pen on the outside. Stake them so they'll grow up three and a half to four feet high before letting them attach to the pen. If you let anything get close to the wire, they'll eat it, slowing the growth. I have used a temporary piece of plastic to help prevent this, which I remove when the plant is well attached.
I'll dig up a picture of a pen I had back when I lived in BC.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 01:36:01 PM »

Here is the picture. You see the vine with fuzzy white puffs ? They are Clamatis. I had planted them before I had a computer, or knew they are toxic . As soon as I found out I locked up the birds and removed them. The hops I left and they more than filled the voids in no time.
These are planted on the west and north sides. Due to the pen design and Spruce trees, there was no need to plant on the south side.

cherndon712

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »

Sorry I haven't replied, I've been sick! Still am, unfortunately. Thanks for the pic, that helps a lot! I think I'll start on a new pheasant pen this year, and plant hops. I really don't have much of a green thumb, but I'll try. Will the hops stand up to the wind? We have 30-60 mph wind regularly here...
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 09:53:19 AM »

Hops weave in and out of the wire. No problem with the wind blowing them down.

Just remember to plant them on the out side of the pen, about 1.5-2' from the pen.
Do not let them attach till 3.5-4' high, to prevent them from eating to tops off.

Another option if you do not want them to attach to the wire, is to build a trellis far enough away from the pen so you can walk between the pen and trellis. Build it as high as you want. Hops will grow 15+ feet.

In tha fall, after they freeze and die, cut them down to the ground. They do not re-grow from the vines, just the root, each year.

If building a trellis away from the pen, I'd consider planting grapes. This will give treats for you and the birds. They grow back from the vine, so less work as well.

Maybe hops along one side and a trellis of grapes on another side......lots of options you can think up.

When ever I plant new stuff at my place, I try to choose bushes that will provide berries for me and the birds. They do not have to be planted inside pens.
Saskatoons, Honey Berry, Currants, Raspberry.......

I trans planted a couple Tamarack trees last year, for a wet area to the north of me. I got them from an area that was mossy, with some kind of low brushy stuff.
Checked on them later in the summer and it turns out the low brushy stuff is low bush Blueberries !
I'll be transplanting many next summer ! Nice easy digging in moss !  :grin:

I'm sure you could find places like this down south:  http://saskatoonfarm.com/

Here in AB they have a shelter belt nursery for trees. They are free. I ordered about 80 Spruce (they sent Pine and all but 3-4 died) but there may be a place like this in your State ?
cherndon712

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 07:47:46 PM »

What is a shelter belt nursery? I like the idea of having fresh berries! And the hops sounds like it would work too! We just had a major cold snap (-20 for a few days) so I haven't even had a chance to THINK about planting!! Been too busy keeping waterers unfrozen and the barn door dug out of 2 feet of snow!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »

One example : http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1192201777018&lang=eng

Provinces like Alberta and Sask have shelter belt programs. It's meant to replace tree lines around fields 1/4 sections etc.
Trees are free, or pay shipping, or pay for both, but at a very low cost.
If you qualify.

I tried a couple of the places. One kept sending things I didn't want or order. They were also dead when they got here.

I found out later that they were raising trees that were not from the general area, so it would be very unlikely they would make it in my area.

I found other places to get trees etc and so far all do well.

In my area, Cedars need a bit of work each year to make it through the winters. Each fall, the water hose is on the ground around them right up to freeze up. This encases the roots in ice.
There is more about trying to get things growing up here, but doesn't apply to you southern folk.

cherndon712

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:23:16 AM »

LOL Think that's the first time I've been called Southern!

I can't wait for it to warm up here! So much to do!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »