Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:03:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  hunting north carolina.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: hunting north carolina.  (Read 9125 times)
birddog
Expert Member

« on: January 08, 2008, 08:22:31 PM »

There is a possibility that the wife and I might move to western  North Carolina sometime in the near future. I have been looking at the fish and game website and it is looking pretty good. the regular whitetail deer and black bear  but the upland hunting looks even better. they list grouse' woodcock' quail  chukar wild turkey  and pheasant. are all these species available to hunt in the wild? or are some of these on game farms. I didn't expect to see chukar or grouse on the list. maybe I'm biased towards northern new england as far as the grouse goes. they also list wild boar. has anyone had any experience in the area ? the game farm ' plantation  bit is new to me. as here in northern new england we can pretty much hunt where ever there is not a no trespassing sign.  also what is the deal with the extra fee for trout fishing over and above the regular fishing license?

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
Equismith

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 06:25:35 AM »

NC does have quail, grouse, wild turkey, and woodcock. Chukar and Non-native pheasant also have seasons, but I've never seen these in the wild and believe a season is listed because of rare cases where released birds survive in certain areas outside the norm. I've heard of some pheasant on the coast. Never heard of Chukar anywhere.

If you're moving to western NC, you'll be in upland grouse heaven if your legs can take it. Rent or buy "Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis. That was filmed in western NC in the Chimney Rock Park and Lake Lure area.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/

Wild turkey are getting a population boom. They're everywhere and are seen frequently lying on the side of the road dead from being hit be cars.

Quail are scarce any many are released birds.

And don't forget crows.

Grouse is what you'll find the most. Hunt on public gamelands or on someone's land with permission. If you roam about up there without permission, the moonshiners might shoot you!

What city will you be moving to?

birddog
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:06:22 AM »

Thanks for the information Equismith . that is about what i figured. although i did think that there would be more quail hunting. but the fact that the grouse hunting is so good doesn't break my heart. as for the terrain I have lived in Maine for the past 10 years but grew up in northern NH. and did all my hunting in the white mountains.
if we do move  we will be going to the Burke ' McDowell county area. Nebo Marion somewhere in there. wife has family there. and thanks for the  last of the Mohican's reference. I actually have that dvd. haven't watched it in a while  tonight sounds like a good time to check it out again

raising and breeding ringneck pheasants , bobwhite quail and English setters.  also have   turkeys, chickens, geese and pigs.. lions tigers bears oh my
finnegan

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »

Shoot I might have to work in another road  hunting trip the closer to michigan as well Jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »