Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:02:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Hunting Dog?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hunting Dog?  (Read 3457 times)
Chukar Breeder
Expert Member

« on: July 27, 2007, 09:45:00 PM »

OK, my dad owns a german shepherd/husky mix and he wants to get another german shepherd because he likes how they stay around our property (49 acres) and guards the house when we are away. I want a hunting dog. Is there a breed or mix of dog that will not wander and also hunt or is it just in their nature to wander?

Thanks,

Forrest
Danmcc

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »

Forrest,

I think your answer is going to be found in a combination of the early socialization and the genetics of the specific dog you choose from a litter.

Beyond looking at the family history, there is not much you can do about the genetics ; even with the best gene pool I think it will still come down to a tug on the handle of the gentic slot machine.  You are just choosing to play with a more generous machine.

I have two GSP's from the same litter, and they are very different in spite of being exposed to the same or similar things for most of their lives.  My male runs huge every time and my female runs hot and cold, near and far, depending on how she feels on any particular day.   I can't help but think that genetics are playing a large role in their differences.  Within any breed there will be a wide variety of traits and abilities.

I think you best starting place would be by deciding if you want a pointing breed, a retrieving breed, a versatile breed, or some other hunting breed (springer, etc), then I would seek a local dog training/breeding mentor, who is reputable and whose style is in line with your own (some people are very pateint and others border on what I consider abusive), who could help guide you.  Whatever you end up doing, you should be ready for a 12 plus year commitment to the animal.

Dan
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »

Sorry, I thought I had posted this, already.

You need two dogs (at least).  That’s just too much of a compromise.  Weimaraners were supposedly bred to do both (protect as a companion, I believe, rather than protecting an estate).  I apologize, in advance to fans, but I’ve never seen one do both, well.  And they are definitely not the easiest bird dog for a beginner to train.

It is hard for a lot of people in this country to think of a German Shepherd as a herding dog, since they have been used so much as guard, and patrol dogs.  Overseeing the flock in their pasture is easy to transform to protecting the “pasture” and everything in it from “predators”.

Hunting dogs (and I assume by that you mean bird dog, and probably one of the pointing breeds), leave home to find game in someone else’s “pasture”.  Dogs that are strictly retrievers are not as bad about this, but I don’t think they are likely to patrol your “estate” well.   Brittanys, many setters, and some pointers raised close to people will protect the pack, especially the pack leader, and the immediate “den” area.  Anything outside an area of a few acres, will usually be viewed as hunting grounds, and that can extend out to infinity, unless you are hunting with him.  There are probably a few dogs in the world that could do both, well, but your grandchildren will be old, before we could locate one.

So, no, there is not a breed, or mix that you can depend on to do both, well, and yes, most hunting dogs, of any type, are likely to wander off the property to hunt on their own.  In fact, these unauthorized excursions can do more to undo good training than a poor trainer making mistakes.  A dog that is truly steady to wing, or wing and shot may stay on point out in the brush, somewhere, making it nearly impossible to find.  That is only one nightmare scenario.

Also, you don’t want to be out hunting with the guard dog, 3, or 300 miles from home when the bad guys show up!

Personally, I would check with rescue organizations for a young German Shepherd, or mix, in good health, and temperament.  But go with a bird dog of pure, and known breeding.  Brittanys, Vislas, and Setters tend to bond better with their owner/trainer than pointers.  I think most of the retrievers, and flushing dogs are about equal in this.  Nothing will be more useful, if you intend to do some, or all, of the training yourself.

Since you seem to be happy with the way the Shepherd/Husky patrols, I would suggest training his eventual replacement the basics of obedience, and let them run together.  The youngster should pick up most everything he needs to know.  This does NOT work as a method of training a bird dog, with the possible exception of basic retrieving, and is a no-no, if the Shepherd kills chickens, or has any similar bad habits.

Jack

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »