Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 02:59:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  dog died
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dog died  (Read 3893 times)
zip
« on: January 19, 2006, 01:41:57 PM »

I just lost my springer spaniel to kidney failure.  The Vet told me that he had a number of hunting dogs in my area die from the same thing this year. They think it may be something transmitted by the dogs drinking from puddles that have been contaminated by a sick animial like a fox or skunk or racoon. I found out that there is a vacine that can be given every 2 years to help  prevent this. I live in New Hampshire. Im letting you all know in hopes that it will help prevent someone else going through what I did. I am looking for another dog if anyone has some out there.  I would like another springer or britt.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 03:34:15 PM »

Zip,

Sorry to here about the dog. I know what it is like. I lost my dog to a twisted gut. I still go out to his grave to chat with him.

What kind of vac is available for this:
The Vet told me that he had a number of hunting dogs in my area die from the same thing this year. They think it may be something transmitted by the dogs drinking from puddles that have been contaminated by a sick animial like a fox or skunk or racoon. I found out that there is a vacine that can be given every 2 years to help  prevent this. 

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
zip
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 07:36:18 AM »

Im not sure what the correct name for it is but I will do some research and get back to you. I found this out through a hunting buddy who brought his dog to the same vet shortly after I lost mine.  The vet told him that there were a high number of hunting dogs dying from kidney failure this year and they werent sure why. He mentioned that his dog had been hunting with mine and the vet told him about the vacine so he had it given to his dog. Ill get back to you asap with more info.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 05:36:12 PM »

Im not sure what the correct name for it is but I will do some research and get back to you. I found this out through a hunting buddy who brought his dog to the same vet shortly after I lost mine.  The vet told him that there were a high number of hunting dogs dying from kidney failure this year and they werent sure why. He mentioned that his dog had been hunting with mine and the vet told him about the vacine so he had it given to his dog. Ill get back to you asap with more info.

I would appreciate it immensely. I live on a farm, I have standing water, and 3 active ponds. I have all different wildlife roaming throughout the property.

If this is something that I can administer myself, this would be great.

Thanks!

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »