Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:31:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Using the lights for laying
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Using the lights for laying  (Read 3508 times)
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« on: November 08, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »

Just wondering if a flourecent light works just as well as a regular bulb light to get the quail laying. Or, do I have to stay with the bulbs I've been using? Seems flourecent lights would be cheaper to run....

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:38:24 PM »

I just got done researching this myself. here's a cut and past

Should the choice be made to use a fluorescent fixture, a "warm" wavelength bulb (appears as orange or reddish light) must be used since the "cool" wavelength bulbs, which are commonly used in offices and households, will not stimulate the hen's reproductive cycle.

http://ianrpubs.unl.edu/poultry/nf609.htm
beanfarmer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 09:05:44 PM »

A sodium bulb burns cheap though they are expensive to buy.  Would  that work? 
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 02:26:58 AM »

Ok, I don't have first hand experience yet.

I dont have a farm or acres, just a small backyard. So Im in the process of building a breeding pen out of a big tupper ware type box. It will have a cut-out for fencing soz as to benefit from the natural sunlight also. I will be using a regular 40watt bulb plus a timer.

From my research, as long as you have a bulb that will eluminate that orange or reddish yellow light, you should be fine.
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:56:59 AM »

Whichever method you decide on, make sure you have multiple light fixtures.  If you are running one light and the bulb blows (or you loose power), depending on where you are at in your daylight cycle and the bird stress levels, you could trigger a moult.  Not bad in July but pretty rough in January.  The only time I tried it was with two 60 watt bulbs in a 12x15 pen.  The birds wouldn't lay an egg even at 18hours daylight until I added a heater and brought the temp up to 60 degrees F.  After that they began laying like crazy. Only tried it once and decided the cost/benefit wasn't there for year round egg laying.

David
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 11:42:00 AM »

Chris
All I had was a 250 watt red heat lamp in a 4ft by 16 ft pen.
It wasn't my intention to have them start laying as I did it to give them some warmth. It was on 24/7 though.
I put it on them in mid December & about 3 weeks or so later I was getting eggs with outside temps in the single digits.
This year I am going to try using "ceramic infrared heat emitters" for heat without light, then when I need more light for laying I will add another light source.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 04:15:36 PM »

Thank you Wally for the info when I asked you on the Sportsman site. I tried to PM you a thank you, but your box was full  :laugh:

So, here is what I got.

I bought these breeder units from a quail farm that went out of business. 30 units in all. These units housed breeder huns. Each unit is 6 X 12, split into 7 seperate pens. My original intention was to put 9 quail (6 hens 3 males) in each section, with 54 total birds in each unit. The reason I was asking about using florescent lighing was because I was thinking I could put a 4 ft light housing in the front of the unit, and that would light the entire 7 pens up.

Now I'm thinking of removing the dividers, and putting just a 250 watt bulb in there with the 54 birds. Basically same thing you've done.

Either way I intend to turn these into giant roll out pens. I just need to cut the fron wire up 1.5 inches for the eggs to clear, and raise the back side so they roll to the front.  But until the weather gets warm enough not to freeze eggs, do you provide a nest box for them ? If so, do you place it under the light? I know you said you had an area that was filled with straw. Do they lay in there?

This'll be the first time I'm going to get them laying during the winter months, as I need flight birds by June/July. Just trying to get an idea what I can/cannot do.

Thanks for everyones help.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 04:23:05 PM by magnumhntr » Logged

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 05:38:58 PM »

Nice set up
If I knew how to post pictures it would be easier than explaining but I'll try.
Pens are totally open, other than the tarps & visqueen I put around to cover them. The end I was talking about is basically a 4' buy 2' add on box(plywood)with angled corrogated steel pitched roof with open end to pen. On the wire floor I made up a panel out of 3/8 plywood with an upright 2x6 screwed on to the front end. This helps to retain the straw as the little buggers like to scratch it out & it falls through the wire without the 2x6. That way I don't have to replentish it to often.
On the side facing the box I place the heat lamp fixture.
I would say about 80% of the eggs will be laid in there, but not all. Seems like they will lay them in groups, but some are just laid randomly on the wire thoughout the cage.
I wind up going out & collecting eggs at 6am before work & again in the evening when I get home from work. If its real cold some may be froze & cracked then I chuck them.
The draw back is weather its worth it or not. electric bill vs just buying eggs.
Last winter I was getting $300.00 a month electric bills for my measly 100 eggs a week. Definatly need to step this up.

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2005, 10:00:24 PM »

Funny you mention the cost issues. I was working the numbers over to either drive over to Bud Hornings over by you again in Feb, or to deal with the electric bill, feed costs, winterizing, etc.....

LOL. You might get a visitor in a few months  :laugh:

Too bad the little eggs freeze. I'd just buy them and have em shipped. Save me a ton of hassle....

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »