Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:41:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  arrg!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: arrg!  (Read 2578 times)
squirrelhunter
« on: October 08, 2005, 01:08:57 PM »

AH! so I went out to winterize my birds today ( bobwhite quail). and I was picking up a nesting box, when I found a half dozen eggs. I figured they were a few weeks old or something, since these were the first eggs I'd seen since august. well, I picked them up, and they were warm.
I brought them in the house, not really suspecting anything, when I noticed an egg was pipped. I opened it up, not suspecting that there would be a live chick inside, but sure enough out popped one that was probably gonna hatch later today. Then I noticed some of teh other eggs were the same way, so I frantically dug my incubator out of storage and set them. this is strange because I was trying to get the dumb birds to set on their eggs all summer long, and then they finally do it in the fall and don't tell me about it!
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 10:33:55 AM »

darn birds, just like kids  :laugh:

Five Hollers Quail Farm
Dawn
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 04:28:02 PM »

What type of nesting box do you use?    I used several different ones this season, but my Bobwhite still didn't set on their own eggs.  They started to a few times, but then abandoned them after a few days.  I think the pigeons were bothering them.

Were  your Bobwhite all by themselves...or with other birds?

Dawn
stewaw
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 08:48:14 AM »

After several years of trying I FINALLY got a bobwhite hen to completely set a nest.  I've had several starts and then abandon.  This time she seemed pretty determined so I removed all the other birds from that pen except her and a male.  She hatched one chick from four eggs so I'd say her success wasn't much better than mine.  Given your situation, rather than fire up the bator I think I would have just carefully put the eggs back and let whatever hen had incubated them come back and finish the job. Obviously she was able to incubate a cycle with all the distractions of other birds and your manipulations (feeding/watering)....good hen to mark and carry over.

David
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »