Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Our Member's Section
| |-+  That Quail Place ChatRoom
| | |-+  Gambel's quail killed my Coturnix rooster????????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gambel's quail killed my Coturnix rooster????????  (Read 2656 times)
Brenda

I'm a GREAT BIG bird.

« on: August 31, 2013, 01:14:41 PM »

I incubated and raised 9 gambel's quail, 2 mountain quail this year. Hatched in May. I put them in w/my Coturnix trio when they were 7 weeks old. In a matter of 24 hours, I was away naturally, my male Coturnix was picked to death. Feathers, skin, and part of his flesh. One of the coturnix hens ALWAYS goes to nest this time of year, so she picks at him a bit. I locked her up. Next day, male was dead. She obviously didn't kill him. I had seen the Gambell's squabbling with the Coturnix male a bit, but nothing serious. After I removed him, I checked things out in the quail house, found Gambell's eggs. Do I dare get another Coturnix male? Someone is ripping the feathers out of my Mountain quail's heads too. I had no idea they were so aggressive? Do I need to separate them?  If I have to choose species here, the Gambell's will be going...Thanks!!!
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 06:56:38 AM »

I incubated and raised 9 gambel's quail, 2 mountain quail this year. Hatched in May. I put them in w/my Coturnix trio when they were 7 weeks old. In a matter of 24 hours, I was away naturally, my male Coturnix was picked to death. Feathers, skin, and part of his flesh. One of the coturnix hens ALWAYS goes to nest this time of year, so she picks at him a bit. I locked her up. Next day, male was dead. She obviously didn't kill him. I had seen the Gambell's squabbling with the Coturnix male a bit, but nothing serious. After I removed him, I checked things out in the quail house, found Gambell's eggs. Do I dare get another Coturnix male? Someone is ripping the feathers out of my Mountain quail's heads too. I had no idea they were so aggressive? If I have to choose species here, the Gambell's will be going...Thanks!!!

Do I need to separate them? YES, never mix species.

If you had incubated and hatched the eggs of the Coturnix, Gambel's, and Mountain quail together, you may have gotten away with keeping the birds together up until the breeding season. After that you would most definetly have a massive problem.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Brenda

I'm a GREAT BIG bird.

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 08:51:17 AM »

ty2
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »