Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 12:02:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Coturnix eggs and bobwhite chicks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Coturnix eggs and bobwhite chicks  (Read 3155 times)
jsk
« on: June 08, 2004, 09:22:47 PM »

i have both coturnix and bobwhite quail.  i recently found that some coturnix eggs were cracking and rotting in the incubator.  I was thinking it had something to do with improper ventilation but not sure.  Any ideas?

Also, with my bobwhite quail my chicks make it 2-3 days in the brood box then die.  They have plenty of food and water, brood box is sanitized between hatches and the temp is generally where it should be, yet i cant figure it out. Help please.
GigaShock
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 02:54:05 PM »

Sounds like low humidity. You might beable to save them if you bring it up to 80% quick. When this happened I actually used a spray bottle. 75% hatched. Assuming this is when they are supposed to hatch.
DDWBeagles
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 08:19:43 PM »

I'm more curious as to why you have them dieing in the brooder.  Do you sanitize that between hatches?  Is it draft free and dry?  Also, what are you feeding them?  If they have nutritional deficits, it can kill them off early.  Use a high protein game bird starter and add some finely chopped hard boiled eggs to it.  I would also put electrolytes in their water for the first 2 to 3 weeks.  

My guess is its either feed (wrong kind, old, moldly, etc...) wetness/drafts or sanitary conditions.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »