Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:11:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Dog Pen too Close Too Bird Pen?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dog Pen too Close Too Bird Pen?  (Read 6147 times)
Missourihunter85

« on: December 02, 2008, 09:45:01 AM »

My question to you all is hopefully a pretty simple question. We just bought a new house and the house has what looks like an old chicken coop, that would be great for birds. Now my question is this old chicken coop is pretty close to the shed, and the shed is where i want to put my dog kennels up to. So if i build these birds a flight pen they will be in both dog's view all day long. Will this create a situation where the dogs get bored with the birds, or something along those lines where it would cause a problem down the line?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:51:10 AM »

My question to you all is hopefully a pretty simple question. We just bought a new house and the house has what looks like an old chicken coop, that would be great for birds. Now my question is this old chicken coop is pretty close to the shed, and the shed is where i want to put my dog kennels up to. So if i build these birds a flight pen they will be in both dog's view all day long. Will this create a situation where the dogs get bored with the birds, or something along those lines where it would cause a problem down the line?

First off, I wouldn't use an old chicken coop due to the chance of any remnants of disease.

Second, would be the type of dogs.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Briar Hill Brittanys

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 10:20:53 AM »

Looks like a Brittany in your picture.  If they are anything like mine, bored is the last thing they'll be. Although my dogs can't see my flight pen, a couple of liberated birds always seem to keep the pot stirred.  Those birds will try to covey up with the penned ones and once they're spotted or scented by my kenneled dogs, oh boy.  Imagine 18 Brits with a nose full of quail scent, maybe even able to see the bird, believe me they're not bored.  They don't even get bored in the summer, grasshoppers, butterflies, etc.  Throw in the occasional toad or squirrel.  Having said that, a buddy of mine has a Brit, and she refuses to pick up or show any interest in pen raised birds.  She is able to see birds all day.  Get her in the field on wild birds, totally focused.  When you build your flight pen, you might want to wrap barn tin, or something along those lines, around the outside of your pen.  It will help keep predators out, and screen the view.   

Britts aren't big dogs, but there's more than enough room for all you want in devotion, intelligence, and a merry disposition. Britts live to please their hunting pals. Pick a bird cover from chukars to woodcock, they'll do the job for you with pleasure.
Missourihunter85

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 10:36:21 AM »

Pheasant -
Well I'm not sure that it was, as far as i know it is just a small shed, There was a bunch of cat food bags, bags full of walnuts, and a few other odds and ends. So if it was used as a chicken coop it was a very long time ago I would think. Would it be possible for any disease to stay around for that long?
I have two Britts, and i would just put them on the other side of the shed but I don't have much room on that side to put them.

Briar -
Thanks for advise. Do you think that your friends dogs not wanting pen raised birds is because of being able to see birds all day? Or just a picky dog?
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »

Pheasant -
Well I'm not sure that it was, as far as i know it is just a small shed, There was a bunch of cat food bags, bags full of walnuts, and a few other odds and ends. So if it was used as a chicken coop it was a very long time ago I would think. Would it be possible for any disease to stay around for that long?
I have two Britts, and i would just put them on the other side of the shed but I don't have much room on that side to put them.

Depending on what the floor base was or is. If it was or is a dirt floor, I would dig down 8 to 10 inches and do a saturation of straight bleach and when dried, recover with a sand base. If it is a wood base floor, bleach the hell out of it a couple of times and hope for the best.

I don't have a kennel but my GSP have full run of my farm and along the pen as well. They have lost interest in the pen birds over the years, but if one gets out, all bets are off.  s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:09:03 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
greyghost
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 10:43:53 PM »

Steve, when did a Global Positioning System learn ??? to run?
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 11:13:05 PM »

Steve, when did a Global Positioning System learn ??? to run?

Careful, there, Steve has a good memory for an old guy ( I wondered the same thing, but I have better manners  i3 ).

At least maybe he wouldn't be as likely to get lost as a pointer!

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 04:07:46 AM »

Alright you sorry A s80 B s53 tards, be aware, be very aware. I will scrutinize each and every one of your posts until I get even.

Just remember one thing. Getting even has no time limit.  s020

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:10:16 AM by Pheasant Hollow Farm » Logged

wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »

See what I mean?

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 10:34:34 AM »

For an OLD GUY !!!!!!!!!!!! j45   j45  j45  j45  j45  j45  j45  j45   j45  j45  j45

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »