Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Cocker -- American or English
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cocker -- American or English  (Read 9052 times)
333_okh
Expert Member

« on: January 18, 2008, 11:17:04 PM »

I like small to medium sized dogs and hunt Wilson's snipe, California valley and mountain quail, ruffed and blue grouse, and sometimes a few others. 

How many have or do hunt with either of the cockers?  I did years ago wit ha good friend and loved the little girls.  I was thinking of a new dog.
finnegan

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:42:56 AM »

Hi back in Ireland i used English cocker's all the time for pheasant snipe woodcock and duck  but i preferred the english and welsh springers over here in the USA i have had three American cocker's the first two were useless the third dog is  excellent he is even good for picking up loose quail with out any problems(nice soft mouth) hardly a mark on them then back to there pens  I have two of his sons now as well and they are going to be good as well Daddy is available for stub  if anybody in the Michigan area needs an American cocker stud also he is excellent with kids  as well I have four number 5 due in march they could pick him up by the ears and he would let them pics can be seen on my website www.emeraldisleaviary.com he is the black and white   the pic with two are his sons . He never saw or heard a gun until her was 2years old  or saw game  he took to it like he was at it all the time  my buddy who is a AKC field trial judge and a guide at a hunt club  said if he had been trained earlier he would have been fantastic potential  field  trial champ but  for me who likes to putts around  in the  countryside with dog and  gun he works fine  ( a lot of time i never bother fire the gun when i have a shot) try an American cocker you never know you could be on a winner Jim
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 04:11:46 PM »

finnegan--

i am not ready yet, but i want a field tested bloodline of American Cocker if possible.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:20:44 PM »

anyone know a good breeder?
Equismith

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:57:26 PM »

Try www.gundogforum.com

If no one there can help you, I don't know where you could go to get a good field/hunting line of American Cockers. There are plenty of cocker breeders out there, but few hunting bloodlines that I'm aware of. And that number is currently zero. But I'm sure they do exist.

Equismith

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 07:59:19 PM »

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11786&highlight=

333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 11:22:24 PM »

English it just might be????
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 12:00:58 AM »

English it just might be????

Actually, I would think there would be fewer hunting English Cockers (here, I mean).  Most imported in the last many several years were for show, or pets.  Personally, I would also lean toward one of the springers, especially since they are more plentiful.

Is there some reason you really prefer the flushing breeds over pointing breeds?  I would think you'd be more successful with a biddable pointing dog, at least for Quail, Grouse, and Chukars.

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »

Many of our native gamebirds here do not hold well for pointers.  The mountain quail, which I love to hunt, will not hold and runs 'ffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttt'.  I have had good luck hunting over others spaniels
Equismith

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »

There was an answer in gundogforum.

http://members.aol.com/pudggeeAnn/cockers.html

I'd have to say, if you're looking for an American Cocker, this site certainly gets your attention.

marsha4dog

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »

I just found out about this website and was happy to hear there are folks interested in hunting with a American Cocker.  A question was asked if there are any breeders of hunting American Cockers.  The answer is yes.   There are a few of us throughout the U.S. that still bred and hunt American Cockers.   The breeders and hunters of ACS I know of are in New York, Pennsylvania, Utah, Canada and California.

We are located in California and own the kennel that was in a recent post.  Our kennel is named  http://members.aol.com/pudggeeAnn/cockers.html  .

My husband and I hunt pheasant, duck, quail, snipe, and occasionally grouse.  Our dogs are great as loving companions for the home and determined and excellent hunting dogs.  My husband used to have a german shorthair pointer but says our cockers actually outperform his pointer. 

If you would like to know more about the Field Bred American Cocker and possible breeders, please contact me at:  marsha4dog@aol.com .  Also, if you hunt your American Cocker, please email me as we are also looking for other folks who hunt their cocker.

Marsha Linehan
Equismith

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »

Thank for the email Marsha.

I would also suggest you join gundogforum as well. I'm sure the American Cocker lovers would be glad to hear from you on that website as well.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/index.php

Bud

performanceacs

Cruiser is a Master Hunter & UD TDX OA OAJ VCD2

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 10:27:43 AM »

Hello

Word travels fast in the American Cocker hunting community as there are so few of us that actually have lines from proven hunting lines.

Thanks marsha Linehan for sharing this group with me.  Here is my web site showing just what great hunting dog the American cocker is.

http://home.earthlink.net/~performanceacs/

Gail Workman
Performance American cockers

cocker spaniels can do it all!
hunting, tracking, agility, flyball, obedience
333_okh
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 08:57:09 PM »

20 years ago I hunted California valley quail over two female American cockers and have never gotten that out of my blood.  I will look over your website in more detail when I have a chance tomorrow.  Thanks for joining and leting us in on more information.  So little is ever heard about this breed as a hunter these days.
finnegan

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »

I figured i was finished breeding the american for now  but  the more i think on it  the more I like the idea of getting another female  from a proven bloodline to breed back to my stud dog jim
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »