Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:49:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Build It Yourself
| | |-+  Is wire a must?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is wire a must?  (Read 4919 times)
pringle

Personal Text

« on: February 24, 2010, 05:35:12 PM »

Well Im gonna get 30 jumbo brown coturnix quail from the feedstore coming in a couple of weeks so I want to be prepared when they come outside.Ill butcher most of the males exept a couple for breeding but I need a place were im gonna put the layers just for eggs to eat.I have a couple small dog houses that I can attach a dog crate to so the quail can get some fresh air does this sound ok or no?I can sprinkle DE in the shavings if that helps..
pringle

Personal Text

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »

s85
joshua

Personal Text

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 10:00:55 PM »

My aunt raised some on the ground. I put mine on the ground and they all died.
bird288

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 10:32:33 PM »

If I was you I would put the on wire
There was a topic on this subject not long ago
 Jay
TENNESSERED

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 11:09:22 AM »

Hi Pringle,
   I've raised these quail for over 40 years on the ground and in wire colony cages.  At this time my jumbows are on the ground in my large pheasant enclosure.  I only have a small flock now since the price of food has gotten so high and they eat so much!  The pen they are in is 6' by 6'  They are a lot happier and I believe a little healthier being on the ground where they can scratch around and be more like birds are supposed to be.  I think it is very important if you are going to put them on the ground to keep them dry and in a clean pen.  I have included a  picture so you can see that I have them on what's called creek gravel.  This is a mixture of sand and small rock.  I take and turn it over every few weeks so they have clean surface to walk on.  If you are going to keep them on wire, make sure you have a box aprox 6" high by 14" square half filled with clean fine dust or  dry dirt.  They need this for proper feather health.

good luck
Schroeder

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:36:24 PM »

Will sand work for dusting?
TENNESSERED

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:51:34 PM »

Hi Schroeder,
    Sand dosen't work as well as dust, or clean dry dirt because a bird uses the dust to remove oil from it's feathers as well as killing parasites which are under the feathers.  I have tried sand at times when I could not get dry dirt and I could see that the quail did not like it as well and their feathers didn't look as nice.  By the way some sand, like that which is used for sandblasting contains lots of fine silicone which is toxic to birds and people.
pringle

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 12:23:26 PM »

Well I guess I can try and attach wire to there coops,but is it ok if it isnt the whole coop?Can some of the space still be wood?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »