Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Shooting Preserve Management
| | |-+  My own little shooting preserve
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My own little shooting preserve  (Read 27345 times)
britguy33
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 07:45:36 PM »

muddy  I hope no one in your family has allergies or they will really be suffering if the ragweed  is very close to your house.

If it is far away and you still want to let it grow you can just cut the stems off where the seeds are and store it in a baggie till planting season. Also you will have a better regrowth if you manually cross polinate the plants. I don't recomend doing this if you have allergies or get hay fever though.
muddy fork
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2004, 12:41:06 AM »

Where I want the stuff is about 300y away from the house and where it is, is about 50-100y. I really don't want the seed to go to waste sense it's already there. How and when do you cross pollinate plants that are 50y apart?  
Does anybody know the nutritional value of lespedeza for quail?

Also does anybody know what David Runyan's quail re-establishing plan is? I tried to e-mail him last week and call him today with the info I got from this site, but haven't gotten a response.
http://www.alabamaforestowners.com/CILive/CI031120.htm
britguy33
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2004, 02:50:13 PM »

Muddy If you live in an area where there is a farm bureau of FS office near by talk to these people. Or you could try your local soil and water conservation agency or your states DNR.

I believe you would shake the pollen off of the plants in the early to mid summer. Just shake it off in a bag and then pour the pollen onto other plants.

Lespedesa is in my opinion the best food for quail and rabbits. The stems are long enough and the broad top cover is thick enough to provide room for the animals to maneuver around undetected by predators. And the seeds are a great late fall food source. By planting the seeds thick in an area not overrun with thick bermuda or fescue grass you will have a better chance of it taking off. You also kill 2 birds with 1 stone by providing excellent cover and food.!!!!
muddy fork
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 07:35:31 PM »

britguy33,
Yea I think I'll just cut the seed head off of several plants and shake them up in a paper bag and plant them next spring with my native grasses,  legumes, and lespedeza. I am using a mixture of Korean lespedeza in all my plantings.  Unlike rag weed it's great for all wildlife, but I want to have as versatile of plants and seed so no matter what the weather or time of year it is I'll hopefully have something for the quail to eat.
I did get a hold of David Runyan and hopeful I'll get some good info from him for my habitat and quail release.
muddy fork
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2004, 07:32:22 PM »

I talked to David Runyan and he gave me some ideas and I'll let you know what I come up with. I've decided that I'm not going to mess with seed rag weed the stuff's coming up everywhere.
mt view farm
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 07:23:09 PM »

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to post replies.  I'm a newbie to releasing quail and did not know where to start with the food plots and beneficials that quail need to survive. Our goal in addition  to raising quail is to be able to release and re-establish quail in our area (southern VA). Maybe it won't be like 'the good ole days' but I'm looking forward  to taking my boys out back for a morning of bird hunting.  Thanks again for all the helpful sites and links and the valuable comments --from one who cares. -ron
bobwhite
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »

The QU info that Britguy posted is right on. Good luck in your venture.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 05:20:28 PM »

Must have established a covey with those birds I released last year. I have some males in a J-house in the back yard and they called in 2 females that hung around for about a month. Lived here 10 yrs and never saw the first Quail. Can't believe I'm seeing results after one year and so few birds released. I have never seen a wild quail anywhere in my...or the surrounding counties before this.

The birds I let go were about 8 weeks old if I remember correctly. Figured they would get to used to humans if I kept them much longer. Hope you are all having the same kind of luck. :laugh:

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
redlevel

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 09:56:16 AM »

Trying something.  Here is my Llewellin Setter.  Chipper.

Mark

"Georgia on My Mind"
tr
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 01:58:45 PM »

I am interested in starting my own preserve (private) we have provided some valuable info. appreciate it.  Is anyone use a surrogator to stock birds? I live in PA anyone here or near by using this technology?  I have 360 acres that I use part for grazing cattle 120acres the rest is set a side land that I have done some habitat improvement on fro pheasant and quail.  appreciate anyone input on starting this venture.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »