Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:52:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| | |-+  Pheasant cooing recording
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pheasant cooing recording  (Read 7450 times)
Dodgegal79
« on: September 23, 2007, 11:19:50 PM »

Does any one know of a website that has recording of them making their noises? I'm trying to lure my male ringneck back after the dog ripped apart their pen and killed the female. He is hanging around but still looking for her. Thanks
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:07:49 AM »

I never tried this o particular one, but look here:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Ring-necked_Pheasant.html

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

Cramps,

I think that Dodgegal79 is looking for the hen sound, which isn't commonally posted in any wav file or any sound file that I look on the Internet for. All the sounds that I have found are for cock birds either in mating or for normal communication or the flushing sound. There were no sounds for Ring-necked group warning call either.

The Ring-necked hen has a whistle and not the cluck or tuck sound. They do on occasion almost have the verbal sounds like a hen turkey or a chicken scratching on the ground looking for something to eat.

The only thing I would suggest for her to do would wait until dark, and try to net the bird, or go into hiding and do a high kissing sound with her lips, the cock birds will respond to this also.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Dodgegal79
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »

Thank for your responses. I came home and seen him in the driveway walking around, so I may send my husband out to try the 'kissing' noise. Thanks guys.  Margaret
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 06:02:02 AM »

Thank for your responses. I came home and seen him in the driveway walking around, so I may send my husband out to try the 'kissing' noise. Thanks guys.  Margaret

Well, how did you make out?

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
Dodgegal79
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09:40 AM »

Well he is still around and will come up to the house when we are around but doesn't come close enough to any fo the traps to get him. I think I will have to get another female so he can see her and won't be too afraid. Thanks for your help. margaret
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 06:42:16 AM »

Well he is still around and will come up to the house when we are around but doesn't come close enough to any fo the traps to get him. I think I will have to get another female so he can see her and won't be too afraid. Thanks for your help. margaret

Are you having any luck? I don't think just by getting another hen and putting her in the pen will help at this point. Recall pens don't work on pheasants. What you might try is putting the hen in a smaller open cage inside the pen and leaving a opening in a clear area of your pen with whole corn for the cock to enter.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Dodgegal79
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:38:51 AM »

We have been feeding him and I keep seeing he a few times a day. We are going to try and set up some system of pens on the weekend when we have time and see how it goes. He's living in the trees in my backyard and he feels safe there, so he's not leaving anytime soon it looks like. lol
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:07:40 PM »

We have been feeding him and I keep seeing he a few times a day. We are going to try and set up some system of pens on the weekend when we have time and see how it goes. He's living in the trees in my backyard and he feels safe there, so he's not leaving anytime soon it looks like. lol

Margaret,

Glad to here he is still there. Well good luck and keep us updated to the progress or to any mishaps that may happen along the way.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Dodgegal79
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 10:20:33 PM »

Well you won't believe it. We seen him today on the back lawn with a new girl. My cat was hunting the female so she ran into the bushes and the cat followed. I'm not to worried, the cat's only 6 months old and 2 pounds, she is very small. Well the male seen this happening from the yard and called his female out and she come a flying out, landing behind him. The little cat come out looking to see where she had gone, and the male led the cat away from is female and when the cat got bored they both went back into their bushes. My husband went to put food out last night and found they are roosting in a nut tree in the back, so we may try grabbing them at night. We will let you know.  Margaret
aKirA
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 10:48:54 PM »

hehe...great story Margaret. Thanks for sharing.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 06:14:11 AM »

Well you won't believe it. We seen him today on the back lawn with a new girl. My cat was hunting the female so she ran into the bushes and the cat followed. I'm not to worried, the cat's only 6 months old and 2 pounds, she is very small. Well the male seen this happening from the yard and called his female out and she come a flying out, landing behind him. The little cat come out looking to see where she had gone, and the male led the cat away from is female and when the cat got bored they both went back into their bushes. My husband went to put food out last night and found they are roosting in a nut tree in the back, so we may try grabbing them at night. We will let you know.  Margaret

Well Margaret, it has been 14 days since your husband put food out that night. Did you both try grabbing them that night? What happen?

When any of my birds get out, I just file the paperwork(LE-33-B) and place on the disposition line escaped, and mail the form to the DNR. Just to much of a hassle trying to recover them.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Dodgegal79
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »

Hi Steve, no we haven't tried to catch them yet. We actually have had another pair show up, and they are both hanging around. I'm in BC Canada, I did look them up and supposely they are quite common in the wild here but I'm sure they have escaped from somewhere. There is a dog traing place down the road from me, maybe from there. The two cocks were fighting the other morning in the backyard. My husband just finished a fairly big pheasent pen but he has his two Golden males in there. I'm a little worried about putting the Ringneck in as they are said to get aggressive. We will figure out what were are going to do with them soon. Maybe just leave them and let them have babies outside next year. One female is not to shy, she stays where my husband puts the grain when he dumps it out for them. He may try and make a grab for her on day soon. Thanks for asking, Margaret
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »