Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:43:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Correct feed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Correct feed  (Read 4743 times)
Country Quail Boy FL
« on: May 06, 2004, 09:09:09 PM »

I have some 8-10 week old jumbo wisconsin bobs that i just took of Purina gamebird starter. The feed i bought the other day from the hard/feed store is weird. i think the girl gave me the wrong feed. I told her what age the birds were. The bug said growth and plumage on it so i figured it was ok...

Well when i got home the feed was in Seed form...i thought you were only suppose to feed quail crumble and mash. also here is a list of what was in the feed :  

Crude Protein (MIN)...........................14.00%
Lysine (MIN).......................................0.60%
Methionine (MIN).................................0.22%
Crude Fat (MIN)...................................2.30%
Crude Fiber (MAX)................................5.00%
Calcium (CA)(MIN)...............................0.50%
Calcium (CA)(MAX)...............................1.00%
Phosphorus(P)(MIN).............................0.45%
Salt(NACL)(MIN)...................................0.25%
Salt(NACL)(MAX)..................................0.75%

It says on the tag Purina Gamebird Blend Brand.
Is this ok to feed to my birds?
shagomatic
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 10:15:34 PM »

Protien is too low for that age.  Seed is wasted on birds without access to proper grit anyway.  You need grower feed.  Somewhere around the 20% range.
Don McGowan
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 07:03:09 AM »

You should have a southern states store near by, I so ask for this, Sporting Bird Flight Developer  Item Number 52363071.  Protien 22% And all the other numbers are running a little higher also. Price is about the same or less then most feed around here and I have great results with their gamebird feeds. Also about once a week I give my birds wild bird seed  and they love it !!  I just add some in with their regular food.
Hope this helps
theweave

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 11:02:13 AM »

It doesn't take much to supply grit.  Just drop in some gravel every once in a while.  My birds get starter feed for five weeks, then gradually weaned over to seed mix and ground corn, etc.  Weed cleanings from a local farmer contain everything a wild quail would be eating anyway.  I noticed my birds have much better feathers eating natural seed mix and shed water easier and are hardier.
MaDHaTTer
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:41:49 PM »

The protein does seem a little low
We use a CO-OP feed it is 29% Protein !
Scorpion
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 04:04:07 PM »

Mad Hatter Co op just came out with a game bird booster that's a seed mix at 18%, might be a good off season feed, seems like it was only $6 a bag.
 Country quail boy, I believe I'd find another use for that as well. When they get on adult feed you may try it out  mixxing it with a 20-25% protien feed. There is little harm in staying with the starter if no other choises are available. They will just have wasted protien that may convert to fat, but everybody likes a fat little quail.
Country Quail Boy FL
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 10:22:50 PM »

Ok guys i got some more feed this afternoon. It is F-R-M (Flint River Mills) feeds. It is called "Flite Feed" or sumthin like that. It has 20% protein.
It is made about 100 miles from here in Bainbridge, GA. It is nice and grity. Pretty good price too...it was only $7.99 for 50 lbs. I like F-R-M feeds because we use it for the deer on our lease.

Don,
      there is not a Southern States, Tractor supply, or any other store of that type around here. Just small feed and livestock stores here and there.

theweave,
      What are weed cleanings? And how would i obtain them? Also, what size gravel are you talking about adding to the feed, fishtank gravel?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »