Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  coturnix feed help please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: coturnix feed help please  (Read 4561 times)
Coturnix Coturnix Coturni
« on: May 05, 2004, 02:00:24 PM »

i have a bunch of coturnix eggs which are going to be hatching very soon (1-2 days) and we were going to get game bird starter for them my question is: is the medication in the starter harmfull? if its not then i would be comfortable using it as normal feed.
Ramon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 05:25:30 PM »

Hi,for your quail you should feed them a turkey starter ,make sure when you go to the feed store,that it has a 28%protein they need that much protein the feed has a medication intended for the turkeys to prevent cocidosis,i think I spelled that right,anyway it's such a small amount that it doesn't hurt them.When you get the feed gring it down with a pop bottle,roll the feed to make it small,they're tiny things,hopes this helps.Ramon
Fivehollers
Expert Member

Miss Hannah Mae Pike

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:08:35 PM »

For all its worth, we were told not to feed coturnix or bob's any type of medicated feed. I supplement their water with a triple anitbiotic in their water to take care of cocidiosis.

Five Hollers Quail Farm
scc
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 07:29:10 PM »

Most game bird straters are not medicated. Turkey starter usually is but it will not harm the chicks in the least. I have been feeding the medicated feed to my quail for years with no problem.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 08:24:59 PM »

thanks guys i will pick the right type of feed now, and i looked at http://www.agwayfeed.com/Agbfprods_poultry.html so now i know exactly what to look for :D
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 05:44:51 PM »

i have another question: Can i feed this feed to my quail for the rest of their life? it says untill 8 weeks for turkeys but i think thats because of higher protein requirments, :?:  help?
RedOakGamebirds
Administrator
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »

Probably wouldnt hurt too much but you have to be careful.  A 28 percent protein feed is way too much for adult birds.  An adult Bobwhite and Coturnix usually product good results at around 17-20 percent.  We use 18 percent for our breeders.  A few years ago we had our Coturnix start dying left and right and couldnt figure out the problem.  Later we discovered the high protein mix we were feeding them were burning them out.  A good maintenance feed, conditioner, or grower will work substantially well for your needs or you can buy it by the ton if you will use it up within a month or two.  We get the local mill to make ours but with the rising cost of grain and corn the price is going way up.

Larry

We manufacture egg shipping foam!
Pollorum/Typhoid/Avian Free
NPIP 52-186
Member NAGA and Virginia Game Bird Asociation
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »