Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search

Thank you for making us one of the highest ranking gamebird sites on the internet!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  What's the going price for a good Hunti'n dog???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What's the going price for a good Hunti'n dog???  (Read 8540 times)
utminnermb
« on: April 27, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »

My wife and I saw some nice AKC weimys and GSP this weekend for sale. She got bug eyed when she found out how much they were asking.  :shock:

Weimys (blues) were $450 males, $400 females
GSP were $350 males, $300 females.

Nice looking pups as well. Just wondered what anyone was seeing for prices.
Also just prices in those two breeds, nothing against any other breed. Personal preference.

Thanks!

Matt
britguy33
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 01:07:42 AM »

Basically pedigree usually determins the price of a dog. Find a local breeder that only hunts for pleasure and not for field trials and he or she will have dogs with good noses for less than the prices you stated.
My personal opinion if you are mainly using this dog for upland hunting I would go with the GSP.
I would say with a pedigree holding a few champions on both sides then $350 for females and $300 for males sounds about right.
britguy33
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 01:23:25 AM »

Hope these help with pricing There are tons more on gundogsonline.com just go look around.  Didn't see any wimers there though.

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Classifieds.asp?iCatID=1

GSP MALE AKC $150.00 IOWA
http://www.gundogsonline.com/Classifieds.asp?iDomainID=1&iRegionID=1&iCatID=1&iEntryID=12974&Action=3

http://www.gundogsonline.com/Classifieds.asp?iDomainID=1&iRegionID=1&iCatID=1&iEntryID=12328&Action=3
twincyn
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 04:35:06 AM »

Want to get your wife real bug eyed.  

Show her the prices of French Brittneys.......

then go back to the Wimers...she'll think they are a bargin for 350-400

bloodlines, breed of dog make the world of difference.
pawnansell
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 03:10:10 PM »

My 2 cents i have messing with bird dogs for 28 yrs and you have to know what trpe of dog and what you are going to use it for. ex: if you get a pup off of field trial stock then what type of range do you want the dog to have. all age, shooting dog, foot hunting, the range has alot to do with which type of pup you should buy. Alot of people get pups off of field trial ch dogs and they have a hard time hacking the dog in all the time and the dog was bread to run hard and now you are tring to hack him in close. this is why dogs dogs couard down then the problems begain. find a pup that has natural instint to point and hold will save you alot of cash in training fees. say if you have a pup that points and hold's well that just saved you 600.00 so what is the pup now worth? get a pup from proven breedings you might pay a little more but you will save alot in the end.
MAKE SURE THAT YOU SEE THE PUP WORK AND IF YOU CAN HIS PARENTS WORK PEOPLE WILL SELL YOU ANYTHING.Even a 6 week old pup will have pointing instints and atte spands. GOOD LUCK!!
utminnermb
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 09:39:25 AM »

:D Thanks for the reply's and advice. I should have mentioned I have a 2 yr old GSP.  She has done rather well and been fun to train.  She is not papered and was free. She was older and the owners couldn't sell the pups. My first pointer, and I think she is great!  :wink: Anyway looking at the pup to match up with her, she is spade so no pups. My wife was sneaky when I was gone for my army two weeks last year.

Anyway thanks for the feedback!
Sportfury
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 08:37:02 AM »

I bought my boy (GWP) from Three Devils Kennels out of Nampa, Idaho owned by Jeff Funke. I paid $700.00 for him and my wife still gets bug-eyed, foams at the mouth, and rants and raves about the price and its been over two years already. To me he is priceless. He has great drive and an excellent nose and is just an all around excellent dog. My wife just doesn't seem understand the concept that $700.00 wrapped around her finger is not going to find any birds for me.

Do your research and buy the best you can you will appreciate it later.

Chris
James
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 08:42:40 PM »

I've been shopping for a French Brittany Spaniel.  Read about it in a magazine and got interested.  So far minimum price for a pup has been around $900 male or female.  All the reputable kennels are located too far from me, so add the price of a crate and airfreight plus land travel for some of these kennels that seem to always be more than 60 miles away from an airport.  I figure the dollar layout will be over $1300 for a pup.
That's discouraging.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 09:25:34 AM »

I'm hunting with my second GSP now, and respect the breed a great deal. Now that I almost have my new kennel completed, I just might be adding a new breed of hunting dog to the family.

http://drahthaar.vdd-gna.org/

I think this is a much overlooked and underrated breed of versatile hunting dog. Very stringent breeding and registration, with an emphasis on preformance instead of looks. Just something else to think about. :wink:

P.S.  There is a litter due on the 15th up in NW Ohio near a town called Montpelier. I will hopefully be going up there to check out those pups.

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 05:09:26 PM »

I'll sell ya some of my neighbors huntin' dogs.....cheap!!  Did ya want them dead or alive?  I'll only ship in doggy body bags.

Couldn't resist.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
gunner

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 10:35:08 AM »

As PT Barnumn said .....theres a sucker born every minute.

The old bird hunter said ..... that the best way to spot a neophyte is to look at the man's dog. The rarer the breed the newer the neophyte.

Merchandising is everything....." Wouldn't you like to hunt over a dog like Granddad had". "We sell dogs for the gentleman sportsman"

Bob Wehle could sell his culls, 8 week old puppies from his Elhew Kennels at $2000.00 a piece.
On the other hand you can purchase puppies from the Miller line, winningest pointers of all time for $300.00-$500.00

It aint that easy to go out and buy a potential all-age, shooting dog, cover dog or class NSTRA pup, or gun dog by judging the breed, lines or the pups sire and dam.  
Yes, it's a place to start, but the question I would ask a potential owner is if he has the abilities, facilities, equipment, birds, grounds, and demeanor to nuture a puppy into the kind of finished dog of his wants.

Sorry to say that a lot of men should not own any dog and would be better off saving their money and self hunt.
Redhorse
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2005, 04:33:01 PM »

:) I certainly agree that some individuals should not own a dog. I myself am an avid hunter, and still do not spend enough time with the dog I have (hope to change that). When I see a dog, especially a hunting breed, being kept in town... sometimes even an apartment, I feel bad for that poor dog! However we all strive to do our best and hope it's enough. I would never discourage someone from owning a bird dog, but pass on some helpful ideas and help them become informed. It's more work and effort than most people ever dreamed owning a hunting dog could be. :shock:

So you got something against your neighbors bird dogs there trailboss? They been getting in your chicken coop? :lol: Hope your neighbor doesn't get on here and see that post!

And for all you "neophytes" on here, Drahthaar pups are typically around  $600-$700. However they can be higher depending on the breeder you buy from, and how special they think thier dogs are! 8)

Shotgun, bird dog, 4X4!!!!!
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 12:38:58 PM »

LOL!!! at Redhorse! I did think of that. LOL!  Actually, they just bark constantly.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »