Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 05:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Adding Pictures to your message is EASY! 
While creating a topic, click on ADDITIONAL OPTIONS and then the Browse
button. Select a picture file from your computer and your done!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  young Brit help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: young Brit help  (Read 3983 times)
unicorn
« on: March 16, 2006, 01:38:40 PM »

I have a 1.5 year old female brit she is very soft and will not move when I put a bell on her.She has big range without and very birdy.I think its because she has been contained in my yard with an electric fence and the collar signals prior to shock she thinks the bell is pre shock sound???Can anyone help
zip
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 01:53:43 PM »

Dont know when you are putting the bell on but you might want to put in on while she is in your back yard with the electric collar . This way she will figure out that the bell is not associated with the shock. If she does not move take the bell off and let her run around  as she always does and ring the bell a little at a time  while she is running around. You may have to introduce the bell a little at a time but she will get use to it. I had a dog with a similiar problem she would not move the minute I put the bell on her she was just scared of it. After getting her use to the new sound I hooked it on to her favorite toy and she eventually got use to having the sound close to her.
Okiebirdhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 07:58:21 PM »

I would take a pouch full of pigeons out into a field, put the bell on her and start tossing pigeons in front of her. She'll probably forget about the bell. If you already have her steady to flush, this won't work.

John Bellah
unicorn
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 08:15:27 AM »

Nice suggestions.I tried the bell in the yard same results freezes up.Ill try the others Thank you both
zip
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 07:42:22 AM »

You also might want to try a different bell or something else that will make noise that the dog is not  scared of. One day in a pinch I used my car keys for a bell. 
unicorn
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 10:58:53 AM »

I put bell on my male all day while both are in the yard.let you know if that softens her a bit
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »