Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:16:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Hunting Gamebirds
| |-+  Bird Dog Topics
| | |-+  Vizsla versus GSP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vizsla versus GSP  (Read 3861 times)
Foz
« on: January 19, 2006, 09:47:59 AM »

Anyone have an unbiased opinion comparing these two breeds of pointing dogs?

I don't want this to be a heating topic like Chevy is better than Ford.  I only want to understand the differences and opions on these differences of what might make one better over another.  Like if one has a bad trait that another doesn't,  same for good traits.

In my area Vizsla is very much less common than GSP, and I'm curious as to why.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 12:29:48 PM »

Anyone have an unbiased opinion comparing these two breeds of pointing dogs?

I don't want this to be a heating topic like Chevy is better than Ford.  I only want to understand the differences and opions on these differences of what might make one better over another.  Like if one has a bad trait that another doesn't,  same for good traits.

In my area Vizsla is very much less common than GSP, and I'm curious as to why.

Foz,

I really don't know. I would think it is more of a trendy thing then anything else.

When I resumed bird hunting after I got out of the U.S.N. in 1973, there were more Irish Setters out in the field then GSP's .

As the years went on you saw more and more GSP and less Irish Setters. By the mid 80's Irish Setters were no more. GSP dominated and the introduction of Black and Chocolate Labs started to show up although not in large numbers like the GSP.

As the years went by the GSP was still the dominant breed for the upland hunting. The fad of the Black and Chocolate Lab were still around.

By 1990 the introduction of the Brittany and Springer Spaniels proved to be most interesting around the group.  The Brittany and the Springer’s held their own fairly well against the GSP.

By the end of 1999 bird season, The GPS were still # 1 in quantity, followed by the Brits, and Springer’s just about tied, and just a few Black and Chocolate Labs. There were a few, English Pointer showing up that last year I hunted but I never really watched them work.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
zip
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »

Ive hunted behind both breeds and would consider them equal. I dont believe the breed really makes a difference its a personel choice by the hunter. If your hunting in GSP country they are the best. If its spaniel country spaniels are the best. I had a English Springer and she out hunted the GSPs and Vislas this year.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »