Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:04:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  sportsman incubators
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sportsman incubators  (Read 15973 times)
Blue Ridge Quail Farm
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 05:05:01 PM »

John,
I was told that you need to mist the eggs in the hatcher tray with a clean spay bottle when you put them in and that will add enough to the humidity to get the hatch correct.  I hope that helps.
Tom
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 05:59:13 PM »

Another Dickies question on thermostats

Dual wafer or Electronic ? which is best, most reliable & accurate ?

They show a 3 tray with hatcher which would suit me best I think but are the trays used the same as GQF of different ?

Are GQF parts interchangeable or do you need to get them from Dickies ?

Thanks

Wally

Both of my incubators have the electronic thermostat with the wafer backup. They keep the temp pegged where you set it. My hatcher has the dual wafer thermostat, and it doesn't keep the temp dead on like the electronic. It goes from +/- 1 degree as the temp kicks on and off. Personally I like the electronic best.

As for parts, I believe that the turner parts are interchangeable between the two. But you'd have to confirm that with Dickey's. I know the 124 count plastic egg trays are designed for the GQF and fit perfectly in the Dickeys, so I'm assuming again that they're the same. Keep in mind Wally that the hatching tray in the bottom will only hold 1 trays worth of eggs, not an entire incubator full. And you will be boucing the humidity around in there between hatch and regular incubation time. I used to hatch and incubate in one for a couple of years and got about the same hatch rates as using a seperate hatcher. One thing I thought about doing was having my local metal shop design a wire top for the turner trays, and just run all my eggs at once and hatch them in the turner trays. But then I got the hatcher and that idea went the wayside. Hope this helps :-)

Chris

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
jk
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 07:17:55 PM »

I am pretty sure most parts are interchangeable. They are almost, if not, the exact same design. I read somewhere that the man that sold the plans for making one to both Dickey and GQF, or something like that.
kcgamebirdfarm

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05:18 AM »

hey,
   as far as the humidity goes - i think the older machines were set up better - the ones like the 1266 and the 1277 that were made for ratites origionally - these machines had 6 holes in the back - 3 top 3 bottom.
This is great in the models that are just hatchers because if you load one up full of eggs and you have maybe 500 chukar chicks for instance hatch at one time that is alot of wetness and that raises the humidity so you can open the back up and let me air in - the models now with only 2 holes do not allot enough airflow when doing only hatches.
   But to sum up my opinion on them - they are both good machines that are going to give you good hatches on smaller eggs. When you go and start setting turkeys, ducks and what not things dont always go as good - yes i know great hatches ahave came out of these with bigger eggs but when i compare them to what i use they just dont do as well on bigger type eggs but are probibly 2 of the best incubators ever made for small time flock owners - i just wanted to say though that Nature Form does make a smaller incubator in the saffari serices that holds around 270 chicken eggs - these will do a better on bigger eggs but is not worth it when they sell for around $3k you better just stick with a gqf.
Kyle

~what good are birds without feathers?~
gp
Expert Member

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2006, 12:50:46 PM »

I'm also looking into getting a Dickey or a Sportsman incubator for next year but i'm looking into getting just the incubator with no hatcher in it because I have 3 Little Giants that I could use for a hatcher.  Is there a advantage in not having the hatcher at the bottom of the incubator?  Would you get better hatches without having it?
jk
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2006, 07:11:42 PM »

I've heard that it's easier to maintain a certain temp. and humifity because there is less stuff inside the 'bator. But I think that's about all the advantages. Other than it costs a little less.
Hinkjc

www.thebonegrinders.com

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2006, 08:59:00 AM »

I like our new 380 ova-bator by Brinsea, it runs like a charm and doesn't weigh a ton..Very steady on temps and humid.

We also use 2 Gqf picture window bators and a home made hatcher unit.

Charlie

~~~~~~
Buff Orpingtons,
Btm Black Orpington,
LF Modern Araucana,
Lavender AKA Self blue Orpington project,
Lavender AKA Self Blue LF Araucana Project,
Wild Eastern Turkeys,
Butler Bobwhites,
Pure White bobwhite,
Edwards Pheasant
Mutant pheasants
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2006, 12:45:00 PM »

OOOh  :laugh: .... lol. Very nice incubator. I like the Ova-Easies better than the Sportsmans. They are probably about the same on a performance standpoint but you have to agree that the Brinseas look better... :laugh: Your homemade one is very nice as well.

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Hinkjc

www.thebonegrinders.com

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 08:25:38 AM »

Thanks on my home made unit. cost $75.00 to make. we can hatch about 160 chicken eggs in it.

I've only ever used the 1202 gqf and found it to work good.

The brinsea has a built in elect temp gauge that i find to be right on the money, which is a real plus!

Charlie

~~~~~~
Buff Orpingtons,
Btm Black Orpington,
LF Modern Araucana,
Lavender AKA Self blue Orpington project,
Lavender AKA Self Blue LF Araucana Project,
Wild Eastern Turkeys,
Butler Bobwhites,
Pure White bobwhite,
Edwards Pheasant
Mutant pheasants
jk
Expert Member

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 11:02:54 AM »

Only $75? Maybe post some directions on how you made that and what you used...

American Game Bantams, Wood Ducks, and Mandarins.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »