Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Buy & Sell Gamebirds online!
Click Here for TQP Auction & Ads
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  sportsman incubators
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: sportsman incubators  (Read 15972 times)
Britton Howe

« on: June 14, 2006, 07:05:20 PM »

I just have to say thier awesome. finally after doing this for nearly 20 years. I'm having my best hatches ever on pheasants up until a month ago all I had ever used was those hova incs. I've hatched 2 batches of pheasants with a 81% hatch I've never gotten higher then 37% before on pheasants.
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:44:27 PM »

I just have to say thier awesome. finally after doing this for nearly 20 years. I'm having my best hatches ever on pheasants up until a month ago all I had ever used was those hova incs. I've hatched 2 batches of pheasants with a 81% hatch I've never gotten higher then 37% before on pheasants.

Congratulations Britton Howe!

I have (2) two of the GQF 1502 Sportsmans. I am about to order my 3rd.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 09:34:23 AM »

I have 2 sportsmans and 1 dickeys ,good incubators ,great hatches  need to get one more this summer
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

Sportman or Dickey, which is better ?  Pro's/Cons ? I know more places carry GQF & I think Dickey is only avail direct.
I need one too, best place to get one ?
Haven't had much luck looking for used ?

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:42:50 PM »

I would say they are both equal if I have a choice Iwould lean toward dickey only my.02
Pheasant Hollow Farm
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

EST. 2001 Owner/Operator Located in Slate, WV

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:18:31 PM »

I would say they are both equal if I have a choice Iwould lean toward dickey only my.02

What is the actual difference between the two? They look the same as far as I tell tell from the pictures on the internet.

Steve
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Specializing in Manchurian Ring-necked Pheasants and Melanistic Mutant Pheasants for release, propagation and the hunting community. Licensed by the State of WV. DNR# D6-42-23-GF1
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 06:17:44 PM »

One of the biggest differences between the GQF and the Dickey is the GQF takes the temp readings right in front of the heat coils, whereas the Dickey's take the temp readings in the middle of the incubation area. Also, the door latches on the Dickey's seem better. When I was looking at buying a cabinet style, I had the luxury of seeing them both side by side and running at the same time. Both are well build units, but the slight advantage goes to Dickey, IMO. The only thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a slight temperature variation within the incubation area. Top to bottom there is about a .75 degree difference. I don't know if this is something I'm doing wrong, or some flaw in thier design. I was going to do some experiments this spring, but ran out of time before I needed to put eggs in.

As an average, I get about a 80% hatch rate on the eggs I've ran through it. And I've hatched thousands of eggs in both of mine, as has my friend who also has 2 Dickies running.

Wally, anytime you want to see one in operation, you are more than welcome :-)

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
jchiar
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:44:03 PM »

Steve, Chris pretty well covered it, both are good units Ijust like dickey a little better
gsc
Expert Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »

Temperature differences in the chamber are due to air movement, either too much or too little.  It is a tough thing to overcome.  I know I've see a design for an incubator that has a fan at each level of trays, they called it laminar flow.  It is also due to differences in temperature movement in and out of the chamber which is an air tight and insulation issue.  It all comes down to balance.
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »

what is the difference in price? I want a cabinet in the future but I know very little about the dickey's to compare with GQF.

mike
magnumhntr
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 08:44:46 PM »

Temperature differences in the chamber are due to air movement, either too much or too little.  It is a tough thing to overcome.  I know I've see a design for an incubator that has a fan at each level of trays, they called it laminar flow.  It is also due to differences in temperature movement in and out of the chamber which is an air tight and insulation issue.  It all comes down to balance.

Yeah, that's what I thought the problem was. One of the experiments I want to try is to take some 120mm computer fans and mount them in various places throughout the incubator and see ifI can get a more constant temperature throughout the unit. I first started to notice a problem when I filled it for the first time all at once with 354 pheasant eggs. Put them in the hatcher on the 21st day, and hatch started on the 22nd day, and went as far out as the 28th day. Next batch I marked where they were in the turners, and noticed that the front top and front middle hatched before the bottom 2, and the back top and back middle hatched last.

Anyway, got some work to do to see if I can make the temp more consistent within the unit. Gives me something to do during the winter ;-)

Chris Morehouse
www.mmgamebirds.com
Located in Southwest Michigan
pamike
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 09:34:24 PM »

I was looking at those 120mm computer fans for in a hova-bator but they are bigger than I thought. It weighs more than my entire hova-bator.

mike
mainequail

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2006, 10:33:34 PM »

I bought my first Sportman this year and WOW. I throw 100 eggs in each week for 6 weeks and have gotten 79% to 96% hatches with the fewest culls I ever had. No messing around with temperatures or humidity ( I have the automatic humidity system).

The ability to add trays of quail eggs at intervals and pop them in the hatching tray when ready, made this ideal for me.

I actually have a 1266 incubator but disabled the bottom tray and built a screened cover for it . It will do 960 quail eggs (8 trays of 120) with just the two racks.

I slide in a tray each week and move it into the hatcher when ready. I have a 1/2 degree difference from top rack to hatcher, with the thermometer being about 1/2 degree hotter than the top rack. So I run the thermometer at 100 degrees.

This works fine since the top two racks I am using have only a 1/4 degree difference in temperature, and the 1/2 degree at the hatcher doesn't seem to make any difference.

If you have been shuffling sponges and adding water, wrapping blankets and juggling temperatures with small incubators, get a cabinet incubator.  I'll never go back.
drwink
Expert Member

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »

Another Dickies question on thermostats

Dual wafer or Electronic ? which is best, most reliable & accurate ?

They show a 3 tray with hatcher which would suit me best I think but are the trays used the same as GQF of different ?

Are GQF parts interchangeable or do you need to get them from Dickies ?

Thanks

Wally

Birddogs, homegrown Tomatoes & the Blues
To me, it dosen't get any better than that

DW Farm & Kennel
JohnInDixon
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 03:06:50 PM »

Additionally, I'd like to know if the Sportmans keep the humidity higher in the hatcher tray like its supposed to be.

thx
John
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »