Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Egg turning questions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Egg turning questions  (Read 4926 times)
backyardquail

This place is going to the birds!

« on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:31 PM »

Two newbie questions,

These are jumbo brown coturnix quail. 

1) I collect eggs over a 7 day period for hatching.  Do the eggs need to be turned during this time of waiting?

2) I have been manually turning during incubation (hope to get an electric turner soon   c50 ), but I have only been getting about a 50% hatch rate.  Temp and humidity seem good.  Do you think automated turning will significantly increase hatch rate or is it possible item #1 is the problem?  Other thoughts on the low hatch rate?

Random thought: I like the newly hatched chicks and the adults, but like normal teenagers at about 4-5 weeks of age these guys can be a handful...    dh1

Thanks!

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »

1) Yes

2) Maybe and #1 could be part of the problem, of course there are many possible reasons for a low hatch rate.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:19:35 PM by CharlieHorse » Logged

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
backyardquail

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:49:59 PM »

New experiment.  The wife and kids got me an auto-turner for Father's day.   j1

So I collected eggs for 7 days placing them in the turner from day 1 and into the incubator on day 7.

Now we wait.........

Backyard Quail
"Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake." - Victor Hugo
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:18 PM »

You need to collect your eggs as many times as possible during the day. I know that the corturnix usually lay in the afternoon but collecting asap will get you less damaged eggs and eggs that have not been exposed to the heat for very long. Turning your eggs twice a day during the holding period is also very important and store them with the small end pointing down in a cool dark place. And yes a egg turner will increase your hatch rate.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
backyardquail

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 08:32:09 AM »

Almost gave up, I thought they were due to hatch Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, but nothing not a one hatched.  So I cursed the new egg turner.  dvl   But I let them go another day and when I got home Thursday there they were!   Happy, piping little baby quail.  I really enjoy hatch day, always awed by the power of God to make life in spite of me.

Still only got about a 50% hatch rate.  Oh well, I guess that is the best I can hope for from a styrofoam incubator.  Next father's day I will have to ask for a cabinet incubator.   ::)

Backyard Quail
slider
Expert Member

What do you mean I have to press 1 for english.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:47:22 AM »

Congrates on your hatch.... s98

alan vallejo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »

congrats on your hatch, y can recomend you to turn 1/2 degree for the next batch of eggs y they are one day late hatching, it maybe the solution, about the hatch rate can be 2 things one the adults maybe 2 young or old, or the feed culd be rong in protein%, y use 28% on mi bob white, and gambell and the % is about 75% to 85%, if you have japaneses you can try a 25% protein mix.
hope these can help you somehow.
backyardquail

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »

I was running right at 100 this time and thought about dialing it back a little next time since the hatch date was off.

Regarding the hatch percent, the adults are all from late last season so are about 8-9 months old at least, some older.  Not sure if that would be considered too young, I assume it is not too old.  Thoughts?

You might be on to something in regards to the feed.  I currently am only able to easily get the maintenance feed (which shows 12.5% protein on the bag) in the Layena.  So I will look to switch them over to more protein for a few weeks before trying another hatch.  Thanks for the information.

Backyard Quail
alan vallejo

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:15:52 PM »

ok if they are japanese they productivity live is about 1 year so maybe they are begining to be a litle old, im almost certain that the low hatchability if a mather of protein in the feed, because all quails require no lees than 20%.
my best regards
backyardquail

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »

So I was working with my birds this weekend and got to thinking about this again. 

If a year old is beginning to be a "little old", what type of breeder rotation are people using?  Do you change them out every 6, 8, 12 months?

I have switched to 24% protein and will be looking to do another hatch in about two weeks - try to get one last one in before gets to cold here in the midwest.

Backyard Quail
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »