Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:50:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  Broody Valley ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Broody Valley ?  (Read 7264 times)
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« on: June 21, 2009, 10:18:40 PM »

The hen that has hatched each year, hasn't laid any eggs this year. She hurt a leg on the wire a couple years ago.
This one has always been an egg laying machine. Eggs all over the place, nests all over the place.....only to go broody late in the year, too late for chicks.

Had been wondering where she was laying so went into her pen a few moments ago.
Hope she doesn't give up on the nest due to me.
Although, her hatching chicks in the run will cause problems.

If she hatches them, it will be her first in three or four years.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »

:xing: im crossing my fingers for you

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 09:48:27 PM »

She is broody for sure. She spent the night outside on the eggs, through a rain storm.

Wish I had known when she started though ! Been busy, and didn't notice ! Opps !
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:57:37 PM »

c50

I was hoping to have my pair of BW's hatch their own since they now have the entire pen to themselves. But no such luck yet.

Are you going to follow up with some pictures once they hatch?   

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:19:35 PM »

I (the wife and I) will try and take pictures of them.
That has always been a problem, as parent raised chicks are nuts ! As soon as they see you head towards the pen, they blow up/hide/run/scatter.....

I burned a DVD of the 16 with parents last year......it is still sitting here waiting to be sent to you !
One day I'll move you up on the priority list !  s020
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »

My bob whites are crazy. Every time I go to give them food and fresh water they fly all over the place. I thought they would calm down after a while but they have not. I can just imagine trying to catch them in a big pen like yours,LOL.
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 07:32:04 PM »

My bob whites are crazy. Every time I go to give them food and fresh water they fly all over the place. I thought they would calm down after a while but they have not. I can just imagine trying to catch them in a big pen like yours,LOL.
my birds were like that at first too but if you dont stress them out by trying to catch them all the time they will begin to calm down over time and trust you more

Chukar Partridge, California Valley Quail, Gambel Quail, Mountain Quail, Chestnut Blue Scale Quail, Snowflake Mexican Speckle, Tennessee Reds, Georgia Giants, Blonde Bobwhites, Dark cross bobwhites and always growing!
sam-e jo

Personal Text

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 03:54:30 PM »

My breeders did. When I first got them they were wild but now I can pet a few of them and if need be I can catch them but I only do that if I have to.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:54 PM »

Quote from: Reeves
One day I'll move you up on the priority list !

No need to bother now. After all this time of being where I am at, it would be quite disturbing for my status to change at this point. 

mkey1

Quote from: sam-e jo
My bob whites are crazy.

I know what you mean. I've named a few after my ex-wifes!    plh1

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 09:51:41 PM »

Was sitting in my shop this afternoon and could hear my Valley Quail "talking" lots.

Checked the nest and she hatched at least 14. (counting eggs shells)

With the grass and trees, I only saw one chick, for just a quick look.
Right after the first look, she "blew up" and the chicks hid. Both parents and all chicks are in that small group of trees and grass....and I cannot see any of them !  :grin:

Means she was broody over a week before I noticed ! Opps !
kingwolf
Expert Member

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:17:37 PM »

well thats pretty good number for not having to do anything at all s020 s98

Reeves
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:34:37 PM »

Counted wrong. She hatched 16 out of 17. Lost one last night, it got"lost" in the sand box.

I moved them into their "hutch" and "locked" them in there. I'll keep them in there for about a week, then open up the area to the sand box. About a week or so after that, I'll open up the run for them.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:09:25 AM »

c50

That's great!    I'd sure like fer me bobs to hatch a few!   :-|

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »