Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 05:31:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Hope everyone had a great year.  Welcome to 2013.  Our monthly drawings will be starting back soon!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Incubation
| | |-+  First Ringneck Pheasant Chicks Hatching...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Ringneck Pheasant Chicks Hatching...  (Read 5408 times)
AnnabellaGamebirds

« on: August 06, 2008, 01:55:21 AM »

Bought a used GQF Sportsman 1202 from the local classified ads. I have raised hundreds of pheasant, chukar and rhode island red chicks from day old but have never hatched any from eggs. I must say, I am officially hooked. I watched for hours as my first two chicks hatched in my trial batch of 80 ringneck eggs that I collected from my own birds.

Hopefully I will wake up to an incubator full of healthy chicks. I was unsure of the fertility rate of the eggs as I had 3 roosters in a community setting with about 30 hens. Also, I was nervous about storing them in my fridge on it warmest setting (44 degrees). I am thrilled to just see any chicks hatch out at all.

Jon Lee - Web Geek
Annabella Brittany Kennels
frank_lap_127
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:08:44 AM »

Nice pictures, I hope for you it's going to be a good hatching!

I have only two (helping) comments :

1- Try to avoid as much as possible dust in the incubator and place the eggs 3 days before hatching out of turning crates.
2- Reeves is gonna probably tell you the same (as I readed his topic about this) but don't keep your eggs in a refrigerator because it will dehydrate them.

Keep up the good work and I wish you many hatches! s98

Frank
NH/Pete
Expert Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 08:00:31 AM »

s98

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
Abraham Lincoln
AnnabellaGamebirds

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 11:41:44 AM »

We awoke this morning to about 30 more chicks that hatched out during the night.

So let me get this straight. On day 22 or so I should have moved the eggs out of the incubator crates and just let them roll around on the trays in the hatcher? What about humidity since my hatcher does not have a water pan in it? I was just worried that the eggs would roll all around without any support. But, watching a few hatch out I can see that it is very hard for them to hatch out while still in the egg crates. How long before they need to be moved to the brooder circles with heat lamps etc.? Some of them are dry and energetic while others are still wet and groggy.

I appreciate any pointers as this is my first time. I am just thrilled to have any measure of success on my first try. It looks like the roosters were doing their jobs.

Jon Lee - Web Geek
wildergamebirds
Expert Member

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:53:45 PM »

With a small number, like that, you might as well leave them all in, untill they are dry (as long as they can not escape the hatching basket).  I am a bit confused about a hatcher with no humidity.  Humidity should be about 10% higher during the last three days, so you were right to not put them anywhere the humidity was low. 

When nuts are outlawed, only outlaws will have nuts, look at France.
birdlover17
Expert Member

Adult Coturnix Male

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 02:15:55 PM »

Congrats  AnnabellaGamebirds!!      s98

Your chicks look very good, good luck with them.  

I wish you many more great hatches in the future.    I myself have an egg pipping hopefully he'll make it.

"People live like birds in the woods: When the time comes, each must take flight."

Raise Coturnix Quail, Ringneck Pheasant, Ringneck Doves for hobby.
AnnabellaGamebirds

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 03:09:19 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. Yea, I was wondering about the lack of a water pan in the hatcher. I can get that fixed up for next time. Setting 64 more pheasant eggs now.

Thankfully, the weather has been quite humid here with afternoon thunderstorms each day. I think this has helped my birds to keep fair conditions for hatching despite their rookie gamebird farmer.

I posted a video of the first chick hatching on my dog training blog if you care to check it out. http://www.pointinggundogs.com/

Jon Lee - Web Geek
PAcortunix

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »

Beautiful Birds! What strain of ringneck are they?
 :?:

~Owner and Breeder of quality~
Jumbo Brown Cortunix Quail
greyghost
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »

Well done AG, the normal time to move eggs to the hatcher is 3 days before the hatch. As Frank said, increase humidity. Not all will hatch at the same time or the same day. My chicks hatch in the turner day and night. Got 10 Coturnix and six Blue-backs in the last three days. Hatching your own chicks is fun, if from your own breeders it's better.
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:11:08 AM »

I should have moved the eggs out of the incubator crates and just let them roll around on the trays in the hatcher?

Yep.   

Those chicks will clear the sides of those hatcher trays as previously mentioned.

s98

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »