Website Main Page
Forum Main Page

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:51:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
TQP Forum has a new look!  Let us know what you think!
42420 Posts in 6016 Topics by 2375 Members
Latest Member: jg102
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  That Quail Place Forum
|-+  Raising Gamebirds
| |-+  Brooding and Raising
| | |-+  Third hatch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Third hatch  (Read 1938 times)
marvinmckenzie

« on: October 07, 2008, 07:56:57 PM »

Just had my third successful hatch of coturnix. I had some trouble hatching the first few attempts (failed the first three times) but now it's going well. This batch hatched despite the fact that I kept the eggs longer than I wanted before incubating them, the incubator got unplugged twice - for 24 hours each time. And that I could only turn the eggs infrequently.
I have prepared a place with light and heat and am going to try to keep raising them through the winter.

Have noticed that this is not cheap. I get to eat quail eggs every day and have had a couple of meals of quail now. But it does not come close to paying for the feed.

I think the same is true with hunting quail though. Between the cost of license, ammo, pro-rate the cost of the shotgun, the price of gas to get out hunting, pro-rate the cost of the dog, and any snacks you might eat while hunting, then divide that per how many birds you actually take home for supper and you pretty wel need to figure you go for the fun of it and any meat you bring home is just extra!  j c110
CharlieHorse
Expert Contributor
Expert Member

Northern Bobwhites

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »

But it does not come close to paying for the feed.

Kinda like heating with wood, huh?   ^-^   Unless a person can freerange poultry.......you're going to go in the hole, especially with the price of feed nowadays.  It's that way with just about anything though, I can buy all the vegetables/fruit that we would ever eat from somebody else for 1/2 or less of the price that I can grow it myself.

s98......and good luck!

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands: one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »